Payroll/Benefits Specialist II
The Research Foundation for The State University of New York (SUNY) is the largest, most comprehensive university-connected research foundation in the country. The Research Foundation manages SUNY's research portfolio, providing essential sponsored programs administration and innovation support services to SUNY faculty and students performing research in areas including life sciences and medicine; engineering and nanotechnology; physical sciences and energy; social sciences; arts and humanities; and computer and information sciences.
The Research Foundation is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive teaching, research, and working environment. Potential applicants who share this goal, especially underrepresented minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Research Foundation, a private, not-for-profit corporation, is an employer separate from both SUNY and the State of New York, and offers comparable compensation and benefit plans including medical, dental, and vision insurances, flexible spending, dependent care subsidy, life insurance and retirement contributions. Our Benefits Handbook provides an at-a-glance view of benefits, giving you an easy way to look up a brief description of each plan and find important information regarding eligibility. Research Foundation employees may participate in all campus amenities including tuition assistance, a fitness center, an excellent library and attending University sport programs.
Reporting to the Director of Research Foundation HR and Payroll, the Payroll/Benefits Specialist II is responsible for the administration of all benefits programs, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life insurance and short-term disability enrollment. The specialist will also be responsible for exempt employee leave records. Payroll activities will include benefit deductions, labor distribution and HRMS entries into the Oracle database. The employee will work under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Human Resources and Payroll.
- Responsible for new hire benefit orientation to included RF policy dissemination.
- Coordinates benefits eligibility and enrollment of regular employees, graduate students and/or fellows to include dependents and/or domestic partner. Advises employee of imputed income (if any) for taxation purposes. Determines Oracle payroll element (Pre-tax; post-tax)
- Coordinates health insurance coverage for foreign nationals with the office for International Student and Scholar Services to provide coverage as required by United States Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS).
- Inputs HRMS Administrator and Benefits Administrator transactions into Oracle and other business software systems required for benefit enrollment.
- Calculates additional benefit deductions and inputs as required
- Oversees exit checklist upon employee termination. Notifies various campus departments of termination to disable access to systems and to update directories
- Coordinates mandatory COBRA and portability of insurance notifications.
- Monitors 28 day run off of prepaid benefits and premiums.
- Facilitates open enrollment activities.
- Advises individuals of benefit enrollment guidelines (Life event; termination; late enrollment)
- Resolves issues of concern regarding eligibility, ID cards and claim issues by working with RF central office and/or vendor while adhering to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- Perform ongoing multifaceted payroll tasks within the Oracle database:
- Inputs HRMS and Labor Distribution as assigned - Process new and retroactive data and salary transfers. Add new employee data, appointment extensions, terminations, salary adjustments, FTE changes, etc.
- Provides peer review of HR/LD inputs as assigned
- Maintains exempt employee time reporting and service records
- Answers questions related to appointment information, payroll dates, payment information, professional leave, etc.
- Assists faculty, staff and students with the completion of I-9 certifications, state and federal tax forms, request for alien information form, appointment and fellowship forms, health insurance documents, direct deposit, address changes, hourly timesheets, leave records, self-disclosure etc.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations related to I-9 certifications and minimum wage requirements
- Other projects as assigned
- Interview Exchange vacancy announcements and listserv distribution
- Exit meetings with separated employees
- Processes employment verifications
- Generates ID Cards (SUNY HR System)
- Issues duplicate W-2's and forward 1042-S as per requests
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma required. Associate degree in business, accounting or related disciplines preferred and four or more years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must be able to correctly apply percentage (%) and other calculations to wages, salary, leave accruals and employee effort
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite with an ability to navigate other business information systems
- Exceptional attention to detail. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, and monitors own work to ensure efficiency
- Ability to maintain confidential information is a core requirement
- Clear written and verbal communications skills
- Good time-management skills with excellent ability to prioritize
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Working knowledge of Federal and State wage and hour laws
- Ability to work effectively under pressure by handling multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining strict attention to detail
- Strong technical, numeric and problem-solving skills
- Ability to make timely decisions
- Ability to problem solve complex payroll transactions
- Ability to create interactive electronic forms desirable
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Must work well in a team environment
All applicants must apply through this Hirezon/Interview Exchange system and should submit:
- Cover letter which addresses the specific reasons for your interest in this opportunity
- Contact information of three references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume.