Web and Digital Strategies Manager
The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences at Virginia Tech combines the wide-ranging intellectual exploration of the liberal arts with the technological advantages of a leading research university and the civic engagement of a land-grant institution. Recognizing that technology alone is never a solution and that innovation is a fundamentally human achievement, the college's programs prepare students to bring perspectives from the arts, humanities, and social sciences to understanding and achieving meaningful solutions to complex human problems.
The college seeks a creative, skilled, and versatile Web and Digital Strategies Manager to play a critical role in enhancing the digital presence of the college as well as its 11 academic departments, three schools, and many centers and programs.
Working independently as well as part of a team, the Manager will be a key player in executing a digital-first strategy for the college. The Manager will collaborate with college stakeholders to create accessible, clean, and well-functioning front-end code for web and other digital communications. The Manager will manage all technical aspects of the college's website; analyze the college's web communications landscape; develop a search engine optimization strategy; create visually engaging designs; analyze website metrics from a user experience perspective; research, propose, and implement the newest digital trends to ensure the college is following best practices; use additional technological platforms to reach desired audiences; produce enewsletters and email campaigns; and ensures that the digital visual identity is cohesive and adheres to the university's brand. The Manager will also train unit communicators on tools, platforms, and best practices and work with departments, schools, centers, and programs to help them keep unit websites updated and fresh.
This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and is part of the college's Advancement Team, with matrix reporting to the college's Chief Technology Officer.
- Bachelor's degree in such fields as computer science, digital media, or communications.
- Extensive experience working within a content management system.
- Demonstrated proficiency in HTML and CSS.
- Experience with responsive web design and responsive email design.
- History of creating digital communications with a focus on user experiences.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud graphic applications, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
- Understanding of Google Workspace development tools.
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools, including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Knowledge of website accessibility issues.
- Strong visual design skills and demonstrated experience in using design principles to enhance digital content.
- Strong communication skills.
- History of working collaboratively as a team player.
- Master's degree in such fields as computer science, digital media, or communications.
- Experience with Adobe Experience Manager.
- Graphic design training and experience.
- Experience with digital marketing strategies for recruitment and fundraising.
- Experience incorporating marketing and sales functionalities into larger host sites.
- Experience in competitive research and keyword research methodologies.
- Knowledge of Virginia Tech brand standards.
Commensurate with experience with a budget maximum of $65,0000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Stacey Farley at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.