Assistant Coach - Men's & Women's Fencing
Under the direction of the Head Coach for Men's and Women's Fencing, the purpose of this role is to facilitate education through athletics. By using inter-collegiate competition, and all activities related to such competition, the candidate will serve as a teacher and mentor to help build student character, prepare students for a constructive and effective life, and teach valuable life lessons. These include work ethic, discipline, resilience, balance, wellness, persistence, teamwork and selflessness, goal setting and goal achievement, overcoming adversity, and leadership. This position typically influences student-athletes for their entire four years at Harvard and plays a key role in shaping their personal development.
The chosen candidate will assist in planning, directing, and coaching epeefor the Men's and Women's Fencing program, typically working with all student-athletes in the program. They will assist and focus on improving team performance in specialized areas based upon Head Coach and First Assistant Coach instructionand they will assist in generating enthusiasm for and expanding the knowledge of Fencing.Job-Specific Responsibilities
Athlete Team Management
- Focus on developing student-athlete skills. Planning and executing practices is of particular importance. Help team perform at competitive levels.
- Epee skill development, as well as overall Fencing skills for the student-athletes.
- Effectively communicate with students by generating enthusiasm through credible coaching.
- Assist in analyzing video for scouting opponents and team development.
- Assist in recruiting and retaining talent consistent with values of excellence and inclusion; assist in developing team enthusiasm for recruitment and retention.
- Support the culture of education through athletics. Assist the academic integration with the team, as appropriate.
- Assist in the execution of strategy, logistics, and operational direction of the team, under supervision. Where expenditures are permitted, operate within budget.
- Administrative tasks include but are not limited to: assisting in planning travel, equipment, and apparel needs, planning meetings, managing recruiting database (ARMS), managing team email, managing video database, communicating with outside vendors, Inputting results with NCAA, completing compliance work for team and recruits.
- Participate in professional activities, as appropriate. With instruction, follow trends and embrace innovation opportunities.
- Communicate effectively with the coaching staff and athletics administrators.
- Has at least 3 years of coaching, professional or Olympic experience but may also include playing in a professional or other high-performance environments, such as for a national team or at the Olympic level.
- Requires advanced experience inepee fencing
- Requires advanced knowledge of the rules and regulations of national and international fencing
- Ideally has attended a Coaching education program and/or rated internationally as a referee or nationally a 1,2 or 3.
- Professional member in good standing ofUSA Fencingdesirable.
- Must be comfortable working in challenging environmental conditions, including extreme heat and cold, rain, and high levels of noise.
- Must be able to handle high stress and fast-paced environment.
- Valid drivers license needed.
- CPR and First Aid certifications will be required. (Can be obtained after hire.)
- Must be able to lift at least 100 lbs of equipment associated with the sport.
- Evening and weekend work required.
The position is a one-year term.92 FTE position over 12 months.
Harvard is a highly selective liberal arts college whose mission is to educate citizens and citizen-leaders for our society. The College is a residential institution of nearly 7,000 undergraduates and is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Harvard is deeply committed to the intellectual, social, and personal transformation of its undergraduates during their four years at Harvard.
The Department of Athletics offers 42 varsity programs for men and women, more than any other Division I school in the United States. We also offer extensive recreational and intramural programs.
Harvard employees have access to a competitive benefits package that includes multiple options for the health and well-being of our employees as well as ongoing professional development.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources. We regret that, due to the number of responses we typically receive, we may be unable to respond to phone calls or contact personally those applicants not selected for an interview.
We believe that creating and maintaining an inclusive workplace allows employees from all backgrounds and walks of life to achieve their fullest potential. We also believe an inclusive culture is one that accepts, values, and views the differences we all bring to the workplace as strengths. We actively seek and welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups and from those with a demonstrable commitment to a more inclusive society.
USA - MA - Boston
AT2000 Assistant Coach
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Identity
This is a one-year term position with a scheduled end date of May 31, 2022. The position may be renewed based on performance and/or the changing needs of the Athletics Department.
Evening and weekend work, as well as travel, is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.