The Development Officer will work with the Executive Director of Development to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospective benefactors for the highest priorities of Mount St. Mary’s University.General Responsibilities
Some of the major responsibilities include:
- Proactively identify potential mid-level donors among alumni, parents, staff, faculty and other sources.
- Focus on alumni and benefactors who give consistently each year to consider sustainer gifts from $1,000 to $10,000 over a three to five-year period.
- Manage prospect portfolio of 150 current and potential donors in a disciplined, organized manner, consulting with the Executive Director of Development, and other team members regarding strategy, development and action plan for solicitation, closure and stewardship.
- Travel to conduct a combination of 175 face-to-face visits or substantial digital engagement/solicitations with both donors and volunteers, as well as leverage telephone, email and digital or social media outreach to solicit annual gifts in the range of $2,500 and higher.
- Actively engage alumni and benefactors in the university’s activities.
- Work with Office of Advancement colleagues to identify alumni and benefactors amongst the university community to highlight on the university’s website, Mount Magazine and other university publications.
- Embrace and articulate the mission and culture of the Mount and possess a strong working knowledge of its programs and departments.
- Raise total new commitments of $100,000 to $150,000 in two years, with a minimum of 10 solicitations of $1,000 or more.
- Write monthly email to parents.
- Compose 2-3 annual solicitations to increase gift from IRAs.
Minor responsibilities may include:
- Represent Mount St. Mary’s University at weekend and evening events.
- Extensive travel required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The appointed individual will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and ability to think/plan strategically.
- Have two years successful fundraising or sales experience, with a demonstrable record of progressive achievement, preferably in higher education. Experience as a student will be considered.
- Possess an enthusiasm for fundraising in a university setting.
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Have high energy, drive, integrity, sincerity.
- Have exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Be able to work efficiently on multiple assignments involving staff, faculty, volunteers and benefactors.
- Have time management skills and flexibility.
- Have a desire to work collegially within a goal-oriented fundraising organization.
- Be able to perform tasks on own initiative.
- Be willing to travel and work weekends.
This is a full-time position with full benefits and annual, holiday and sick leave.
The university offers a generous benefits package, including tuition remission for graduate and undergraduate classes at Mount St. Mary’s University, retirement program with a match as well as a generous paid time off schedule.
Competitive salary commensurate to experience.
Applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter with three letters of recommendation to:
Mount St. Mary’s University
Department of Human Resources
Development Officer Search
16300 Old Emmitsburg Rd.Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Or email resume materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mount St. Mary's University is a dynamic, Catholic, liberal arts university in Emmitsburg, Maryland with over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Catholic university, Mount St. Mary’s graduates ethical leaders who are inspired by a passion for learning and lead lives of significance in service to God and others. EOE.