Research Assistant - Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
The West Virginia University Imaging Facility is seeking applications for a Research Assistant. This position is lookingfor a highly motivated individual to assist in the daily operations of both the Microscope Imaging Facility (50% effort) and the Animal Models and Imaging Facility (50% effort). Once trained, this individual will be responsible for the training, operation, maintenance, and calibrations of specific imaging systems.
In order to be successful in this ppsition, the ideal candidate will:
- Provide assistance to the staff in the Imaging Facilities (MIF and AMIF).
- Maintain equipment, including cleaning and routine maintenance. Make recommendations for new equipment purchases.
- Perform monthly quality control on facility instruments.
- Maintain lab space, ensuring the space is clean and stocked with supplies. Dispose of waste according to university policy.
- Become familiar with operating all imaging equipment in the facilities according to defined Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Trains facility users in proper microscope usage according to protocols. Update imaging SOP's as needed. Sharing of knowledge with other lab personnel is expected.
- Learn different methods of image analysis, including FIJI, Nikon Elements, and Imaris, and assist facility users with the development of custom analysis workflows.
- Performs small animal imaging using optical, microCT and ultrasound imaging modalities.
- Performs procedures, including but not limited to subcutaneous, intracardial or tail vein injections, anesthesia and general surgery, as required by protocols.
- Performs animal husbandry including monitoring health status of colonies and study animals, maintains colonies according to ongoing lab needs.
- Maintain accurate records of income and expenses, prepare billing for the facility.
- Perform ordering for the facility.
- Communicates clearly with supervisor and with colleagues in the lab; participate in discussions with investigators and in general lab meetings.
- Assist with the publication of the facility's quarterly newsletter.
Pay Grade: 15
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or related science field; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working in a research laboratory involving animal work or microscopy.
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Detailed knowledge of laboratory environment and appropriate procedures.
- Ability to evaluate and perform surgery on animals.
- Highly skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
- Highly skilled at using related laboratory equipment.
- Skilled at using computers and applicable programs/applications, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong time management and work load skills.
- Maintains skills in, or knowledge of, professional principles, legal and/or reporting requirements affecting area of responsibility.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to search, read, and interpret scientific periodicals and professional journals, especially as pertains to extracting experimental protocols.
- Ability to write reports and record procedures in lab notebooks and in computerized documents.
- Ability to effectively respond to questions from supervisor and lab mates.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.