Chief Academic Advisor
Title: Chief Academic Advisor
Job Category: Administrative/Professional
Department: Undergraduate Advisement-SIUC
College: Office of the Provost & VC for Academic Affairs-SIUC
Position Summary: Southern Illinois University Carbondale (SIU Carbondale) seeks applicants for Chief Academic Advisor. This is a full-time, term administrative professional position. Academic area of focus includes but is not limited to Arts and Media. The Chief Academic Advisor provides leadership, training and direction to academic advisors and staff members in a dynamic demanding environment. Working effectively to address wide-ranging student academic concerns while maintaining a mastery of college and program requirements along with building effective working relationships with both campus and community partners including enrollment management units, high schools and community colleges.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain a culture of providing exceptional service to students at SIU Carbondale;
- Serve as a strong enthusiastic ambassador for the university's academic programs;
- Supervise, oversee and mentor academic advisors, student workers and other staff assigned to the advising center;
- Manage and administer day-to-day operations of the advising center;
- Promote and institute an inclusive and welcoming environment where all students, faculty and staff are valued, supported and respected;
- Serve as a liaison between the academic programs, the Provost's office and academic advisors;
- Maintain excellent current knowledge of the university's academic programs, curriculum, practices and academic and student policies;
- Assist with gathering, interpreting and reporting of student enrollment as well as assessment data;
- Serve on committees concerned with advancement of academic advising and/or student success;
- Prepare an annual report for the academic advisement center that include outcome assessment and continuous improvement indicators as well as changes in undergraduate degree programs;
- Coordinate with student affairs and enrollment management areas to ensure accuracy of advising materials distributed to students, faculty and staff;
- Participate in professional development programs and workshops;
- Serve in an advisory role to program/school director(s) regarding class scheduling and other matters as appropriate.
- Master's degree
- 3 years or more experience with academic advising at a four-year institution or higher
- Experience advising students in multiple degree programs
- Proficiency in basic Microsoft Office programs
- Proficiency with student information systems (e.g., Banner, Student Success Collaborative-Campus) and degree audit systems (e.g., Degree Works)
- Knowledge of policies and procedures associated with SIU Carbondale (e.g., Admissions, Financial Aid, Registrar, Student Affairs, Accreditation, Transfer Student Services).
Preferred Qualifications: Working effectively and collaboratively with diverse populations; Excellent communication and customer service skills.
General Information: Academic Advising is a teaching and learning process dedicated to student success. Our function is to TEACH, GUIDE and SUPPORT students and other stakeholders in the University Community. For additional information about academic advisement, please visit: https://advisement.siu.edu/.
Apply online at http://jobs.siu.edu
Deadline to Apply: 6/18/21 or until filled
Contact for further information: Cheryl Wilson
Contact email: email@example.com
Contact phone: 618-453-4351