Pathologist Assistant - Pathology, Anatomy and Laboratory Medicine
The Pathology Laboratory for Translational Medicine at the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center is seeking applications for a Pathologist Assistant. This position has responsibilities in the Pathology Laboratory for Translational Medicine and blends a variety of work experiences in a professional office setting, as well as on site and off-site histopathology laboratories and tissue banking. The Pathologist Assistant will be responsible for completing substantial components of the client's histopathology projects, including tissue collection, processing and staining. This position's work requires precision, accuracy and complete, detailed written documentation.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Carry out laboratory operational assignments, including development, implementation, tissue handling, data collection and analysis of projects.
- Execute animal and human pathology laboratory protocols.
- Perform routine and custom specimen dissections (including necropsies).
- Assess, measure and record gross findings using medical terminology.
- Accurately compile laboratory records and label specimens.
- Provide preliminary real-time data and tissue results to clients.
- Organize and prepare source data files, microscopic slides and paraffin blocks for archiving.
- Provide professional outreach histopathology services nationally (CONUS) and internationally (OUTCONUS).
Travel internationally, as needed.
Work Hours: The position requires flexibility with weekday, weekend and night time scheduling, and possible changes when traveling.
- Bachelor's degree with a histology, health sciences or basic science focus and corresponding laboratory course work from an accredited institution of higher education
- Six (6) months of experience as an histology technologist preferred
- Knowledge and experience in anatomy, histopathology and tissue banking techniques preferred
- Ability to work independently in a variably structured environment
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative laboratory skills, including:
- Project design
- Procedure development
- Data collection, organization and analysis, including basic statistics
- Proficiency with computers and electronic communication systems, including:
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Standard statistics program
- Database software and clinical Medsite
- CoPath, Epic and BRAAN systems with 90 days of hire
- Valid driver's license
- Medical Monitoring
- Valid unrestricted passport to travel outside of country
- West Virginia Clinical Laboratory Technician/Technologist Licensure and Certification, if required (state law)
- Must maintain current Good Laboratory Practices SET file with GLP archivist
- Must remain current with the following:
- Departmental computer based learning modules
- All HIPAA required training
- IRB Human Subjects CITI and BRAAN training (Federal and University regulations)
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer, and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.