Faculty Rank: No
Provide Rank: N/A
Position Number: 001281
Department: Registrar - 240200
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.Minimum Qualifications
A successful candidate for this position must have earned a master's degree (preferably in business, higher education administration, student services, or other related fields) and have a minimum of 5 years of progressively more responsible experience, including supervisory experience, within a Registrar's Office at a regionally accredited college or university. Desirable additional experience would be demonstrated leadership in supporting the creation and implementation of academic policies and procedures that foster student success; an understanding of the higher education student cycle from admission to graduation, FERPA, electronic student records systems, and document management; ability to investigate best practices by collaborating with peer institutions throughout the region and nation-wide; and the demonstrated ability to collaborate within a university system with a central administration.License/Certification Required
- Familiarity with and commitment to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers ( AACRAO) best practices and standards.
- Familiarity with the Banner Student System, Degree Works, and space management software systems are strongly preferred.
- Commitment to diversity including working with, and serving a diverse population.
The Registrar's Office serves as the official custodian for all academic records, undergraduate and graduate. In maintaining the academic record, the Office seeks to ensure accuracy, completeness, and confidentiality. Specific responsibilities assigned to the University Registrar include but are not limited to the following:
- Manages a staff of 22 employees, most of whom report directly to one of five senior associate registrars.
- Oversees the efficient operation of the Registrar's Office, including sound fiscal management.
- Oversees academic registration processes; creation of class schedules, examination schedules, and academic calendars; Degree Works degree audit system; development of the undergraduate bulletin; and event management associated with Commencement and Convocation.
- Manages technological enhancements related to Banner Student and reporting related to records and registration.
- Possesses a sophisticated understanding of the applications of technology to the functions of the Registrar's Office in an effort to streamline processes and increase efficiencies. improvement of the services of the Registrar's Office.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative and effective working relationships with a diverse group of related offices across campus for the planning and execution of services (technological and system oriented) to students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Employs excellent analytical skills in identifying problems, devising solutions, and resolving complex operational issues efficiently.
- Applies exceptional communication skills, with the ability to explain complex concepts, ideas, and issues to a broad range of campus constituents, as well as an ability and willingness to listen and turn issues into actionable outcomes.
- Demonstrates initiative by employing excellent analytical skills in identifying problems, devising solutions, and resolving complex operational issues efficiently.
- Collects and analyzes critical data and promotes data-informed strategic planning, decision-making, and technology-based solutions.
- Ensures compliance with academic, regulatory, and accreditation policies and requirements, including adherence to FERPA guidelines, with accuracy, timeliness, and student-centered professionalism.
- Possesses and promotes a strong belief in student-focused processes and procedures, along with a commitment to outstanding service.
- Collaborates with directors in Enrollment Management to streamline business processes, create enrollment strategy, and advise the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management.
- Uses exceptional leadership and supervisory skills to lead the Registrar's Office with integrity and transparency.
- Shares a vision for strengthening service through the integration of best practices and ongoing staff training, development, and empowerment.
- Serves as the steward of student records through planning, organization and management of all activities related to data integrity of student academic records.
Appointment Type: 1.0
Mon.-Fri., 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m., occasional weekend work
Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Number of Months Per Year: 12
Mandatory Staff: No
Suggested Salary Range: $95,000 - $105,000
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position within a university.Posting Date: 05/25/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Evaluation of Applications Begins
Proposed Date of Hire: 08/01/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach required documents:
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 References with Contact Information
Search Chair Email
Disability Accommodation Information
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or email@example.com.AA/EEO Statement
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the entire university community, including alumni and official university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions, and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness, justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university community.Background Check Statement
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University's receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.Eligibility for Employment
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Quick Link