Campus Services Mission Statement:
To advance Harvard University's mission of teaching and research, we partner to provide stewardship, strategies, and services that create exceptional community experiences.
The Custodial Supervisor is guided at all times by the mission, vision, and principles of Campus Services and instills a commitment to these values among all team members. The Custodial Supervisor fosters a welcoming, supportive and diverse workforce and environment.
The Custodial Supervisor is responsible for the supervision of custodial services in an assigned area(s), including all routine and specialty work. The supervisor will be expected to work closely with customer representatives as well as other members of management to provide consistently high levels of customer satisfaction.Job-Specific Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop cleaning schedules and routines to meet customer expectations for cleanliness and sanitary conditions in compliance with all applicable environmental health and safety requirements. Continually review and adjust schedules and routines as needed.
- Schedule, assign and supervise work performed by hourly custodial employees.
- Perform regular cleaning quality inspections for all areas. Document inspection results and initiate corrective actions as needed.
- Maintains daily contact with customer representatives (electronic and face-to-face) to ensure optimal delivery of service.
- Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Manage employee performance; conduct counsel or discipline actions as necessary. Demonstrate sound judgement in the application of performance management with respect to both the collective bargaining agreement and established departmental policies and protocols.
- Provide hands-on training to custodians in effective cleaning procedures, proper use of equipment and cleaning solutions, building security, and environmental health and safety regulations.
- Ensures compliance with University payroll procedures among all assigned supervisors and work crews. Serve as payroll timekeeper for assigned supervisors and work crews. Maintains and authorizes the electronic (Maximo) payroll system.
- Ensure compliance with all customer-established procedures for use and care of facilities.
- Ensure compliance with all city/state/federal ordinances relating to environmental issues, recycling regulations and building safety.
- Coordinate and supervise customer requested function set-ups, snow removal operations and response to emergency conditions.
- Maintain appropriate levels of inventory supply and conduct regular inventory audits. Maintain accurate records of both inventory and supply inventories and report information regularly per departmental protocols.
- Attend department and other related meetings and required trainings as assigned.
- Other related duties as assigned.
High School degree or equivalent required. Minimum two years of supervisory experience in a customer-focused custodial operation required.Additional Qualifications and Skills
College coursework or degree preferred. Specialized knowledge of effective custodial and housekeeping procedures and cleaning systems. Excellent communication, organizational, and time management skills required. Additional language skills in either Spanish, Portuguese or French Creole strongly preferred.
Technology Skills Required:Working knowledge of MS Office products including Word, Outlook and Excel.Physical Requirements
Frequent standing, bending, lifting and climbing. Ability to climb stairs and perform on-site inspection in a wide variety of building types and cleaning areas throughout the campus required. Must be physically able to perform all custodial duties required of his/her crew.Additional Information
Emergency Status Designation:Critical Personnel
Harvard University Central Administration's commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging is rooted in our belief in drawing on the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity. Our community strives to uphold these beliefs by honoring the rights, differences, and dignity of others andembracingindividuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values. We aim to foster a campus culture where everyone can thrive, a key to which is ensuring that each of us experience a profound sense of inclusion and belonging.
USA - MA - Cambridge
327056 Custodial Supervisor
Energy & Facilities
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 11a-7:30p
Monday and Tuesday off
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.