Job Number: REQ_0000012791
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Join our Penn State Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) Geospatial Intelligence Department!
ARL conducts indispensable research and development in Data and Geospatial Sciences to provide insight and advantage to both sponsors and research partners to shape decisions that impact our world. We seek Engineers/Scientists to support research efforts of unique problems pertaining to defense, law enforcement, security, disaster relief, human geography, disaster preparedness, and first response.Producing, aggregating, and utilizing key data requires continuous development and evaluation of algorithms and analytics to produce accurate interpretations, increase understanding, and impact critical decisions.Discover and capture information from geospatial data to better represent an up to date understanding of world events, systems, and discrete entities! We strive to leverage our team's diverse backgrounds, experience, and expertise to achieve these goals.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Use physics-based modeling of remote sensing systems to provide insights into GEOINT capability gaps, mission planning, and resource utilization.
- Develop feature extraction tools to automatically generate world-wide geospatial data on demand.
- Collaborate with geospatial and imagery analysts to understand and automate workflows and improve human processes.
- Advance the discovery and modeling of associations, trends, patterns and system dynamics.
- Create processes and algorithms to transform traditional GEOINT and open source data into spatio-temporal information describing places, events, and activities.
- Combine full spectrum source data with modeling capabilities that associate real world objects to known signatures and doctrines.
- Apply the scientific method across multiple disciplines to advance Data and Geospatial Sciences and to develop data analytics through systematic experimentation.
- Complete scientific research projects and develop geospatial algorithms while collaborating among diverse domains to further scientific understanding and analytic tools.
- Opportunity to plan and conduct research, provide technical guidance and oversight, contribute to large research efforts, report results, foster trusted relationships with sponsors, and advise on new and evolving technology and techniques.
This position will be filled as a level 2 or level 3, depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. Typically requires a Bachelors' degree or hire in an Engineering or Science discipline plus two years' related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience for a level 2. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher-level jobs. A degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Physics is preferred
Additional responsibilities of a level 3 include:
- Manage Geospatial Engineering projects of small or moderate scope
- Author or co-author papers, proposals, presentations and reports on Geospatial Engineering topics
- Mentor and train employees in the development of technical, project, and business development skills
Requirements of this position include:
- Coursework or research in a field directly applicable or highly related to, Data Sciences, Image Sciences, or Geospatial Sciences.
- Ability to formulate accurate and useful problem statements in collaboration with other researchers, to understand and apply meaningful metrics to measure results, to adapt and learn new things to execute specific research projects, and to meet task deadlines and goals.
- Excellent communication skills, be intrinsically-motivated, dependable, responsive, curious, collaborative, and have excellent interpersonal skills.
Prior knowledge or experience preferred for this position includes:
- Working within a research environment
- Knowledge of algorithm development and programming. Python, R, Java, C++, or Matlab
- Experience with Git, open source scientific computation, computer vision, modeling, or machine learning tools
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.