Grant Price Endowed Archivist
Function of Position:
The Grant Priced Endowed Archivist directs and manages the operations for the Wartburg Archives, which includes the College Archives and the Archives of Iowa Broadcasting. Key functions include planning and development activities, preservation and organization of collections, programming and outreach activities, supervision and management of operations, and collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. In keeping with the Vogel Library and College mission and vision, the Wartburg Archives seeks to give due consideration to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in its collections, operations, and services.
Reference and Outreach
- Serves as primary contact for research inquiries; maintains records of and statistical reports for such inquiries.
- Promotes use of collections through the web, online and physical exhibits
,newsletters and other publications, social media, presentations, and other outreach activities.
- Assists with the development of institution-supported programs or events celebrating important milestones.
- Assists in the cultivation of relationships with potential public and private donors, in support of collection development and preservation as well as funding for archival projects and operations.
Processing, Digitization, and Preservation
- Provides and monitors procedures for the appraisal, accessioning, arrangement, description, and preservation of materials in all formats, including college records and broadcast collections.
- Creates and maintains digital archives collections, maintaining digital objects and their corresponding metadata using collection management software (Proficio Elements by Re: discovery Software)
- Ensures that the diverse collection of film, magnetic media, and other non-textual formats is maintained according to audiovisual archival standards and monitors the preservation environment to ensure proper conditions for stored materials.
- Coordinates work with off-site specialty labs for restoration and preservation work, including digitization of audiovisual collections, and supports development of a modestly equipped on-site audiovisual digitization lab.
Administration and Grant Support
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates the Archives’ student employees.
- Prepares, maintains, and manages the budgets for Archives operations, student employment, and any funds associated with external grant awards.
- Seeks grants to support archive projects, administers compliance with grant requirements, and prepares grant reports.
- Represents the Archives on relevant internal and external committees and organizations, including the National Advisory Board for the Archives of Iowa Broadcasting.
- Performs other related duties assigned.
While under the direct supervision of the Director of Vogel Library, this staff member works independently, following defined objectives and procedures to achieve best practices in archival operations, services, and management.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited institution in library/information science, archival administration, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in the arrangement and description of archival collections and the creation of finding aids.
- Ability to identify, appraise, and recruit items for accession.
- Experience using archival software and technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of users, donors, and constituencies.
- Demonstrated initiative, self-direction, and commitment to professional growth and excellence.
- Ability to move a 30-pound box.
- Experience with audio-visual archival concepts, methodology, and techniques.
- Minimum of 2 years paid professional experience in archives or special collections.
- Skill in evaluating potential funding resources and writing grants.
Initial two-year appointment, beginning in August 2021, thereafter renewable for twelve-month terms, based on an annual performance review and continuing institutional need.
Application Procedure:Send letter of interest, including a statement regarding qualities you offer within the context of the Wartburg College mission, résumé, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for three references electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org. See www.wartburg.edu for further information about the college. Screening begins immediately and continues until position is filled.