Part-Time Faculty (ESL Instructor)
Posting Number: req5391
Department: English as a Second Language
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) at the University of Arizona is the only CEA accredited (Commission on English Language Program Accreditation) in Arizona. CESL offers high-quality English language and teacher training programs on main campus and around the world. Currently, CESL is searching for Part-time faculty to provide English as a Second Language instruction through a variety of CESL programs.
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & ResponsibilitiesTeaching Duties
- Teach 4 to 18 hours a week, as assigned
- Teach across programs based on availability (as established with program coordinators) between 8:00-5:30 pm M-F for the Intensive English Program (IEP), Part Time Programs (PTP) or University Track (UT), or 6-8PM for PTP.
- Hold one office hour per week or be available for students at least 1 hour per week outside of class hours
- Submit e-syllabi for each class
- Be available to substitute teach for extra pay, as needed
- Demonstrate cordial, professional interaction with all faculty, staff, and students
- Develop and share supplemental course materials with colleagues
- Complete administrative tasks, including but not limited to recording attendance, student evaluations, announcements, etc. in a timely manner
- Attend all Department meetings and center-wide events
- Be available to be observed by teacher trainees, students and visiting guests or others approved by program coordinator
- Participate in required CESL events (e.g. picnics, international festivals, closing ceremonies - communicated during hiring - not all events required)
- Assist with orientation/testing as needed
- Be available during week prior to session start for testing and orientation duties
- Participate in all required departmental trainings
- Participate in optional departmental trainings as available
- All employees are expected to remain current in their
- professional areas and to participate in professional development activities regularly.
- Comply with evaluation procedures and processes as outlined in CESL-Info\Faculty Performance Eval Instructions
- MA or PhD in TESL or closely related field
- Experience teaching multilingual classes in all areas of English language skills and at all levels of English proficiency in secondary or higher educational institutions
- Teachers must demonstrate excellent proficiency in English in their professional interactions
- Previous experience traveling and living abroad.
- Ability to speak more than one language.
Rank: To be Determined
Part-Time Hourly (NTE)
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: TBD
Job FTE: 0.40
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Faculty
Benefits Eligible: No Benefits
Rate of Pay: $39.00
Compensation Type: hourly rate
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 0
Contact Information for Candidates
Associate Director, Program Administration
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and One Additional Document
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please attach a 1) CV, 2) Cover Letter, and 3) separate attachment containing the name, email address and phone number for 3 professional references.
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.