Job Number: REQ_0000012793
CURRENT EMPLOYEES OR STUDENTS:
If you are a current employee (faculty, staff, technical service, or student) at Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the internal application process. If you are a current student at Penn State and seeking employment with Penn State, please login to Workday to complete the student application process.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Join our Penn State Applied Research Laboratory (ARL) Geospatial Intelligence Department!
ARL conducts indispensable research and development in Data and Geospatial Sciences to provide insight and advantage to both sponsors and research partners to shape decisions that impact our world. We seek Engineers/Scientists to support research efforts of unique problems pertaining to defense, law enforcement, security, disaster relief, human geography, disaster preparedness, and first response. Producing, aggregating, and utilizing key data requires continuous development and evaluation of algorithms and analytics to produce accurate interpretations, increase understanding, and impact critical decisions.We hire both traditional and non-traditional backgrounds, and multidisciplinary points-of-view. Discover and capture information from geospatial data to better represent an up to date understanding of world events, systems, and discrete entities! We strive to leverage our team's diverse backgrounds, experience, and expertise to achieve these goals.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop feature extraction tools to automatically generate world-wide geospatial data on demand.
- Collaborate with geospatial and imagery analysts to understand and automate workflows and improve human processes.
- Advance the discovery and modeling of associations, trends, patterns and system dynamics.
- Create processes and algorithms to transform traditional GEOINT and open source data into spatio-temporal information describing places, events, and activities.
- Combine full spectrum source data with modeling capabilities that associate real world objects to known signatures and doctrines.
- Apply the scientific method across multiple disciplines to advance Data and Geospatial Sciences and to develop data analytics through systematic experimentation.
- Complete scientific research projects and develop geospatial algorithms while collaborating among diverse domains to further scientific understanding and analytic tools.
- Plan and conduct research, provide technical guidance and oversight, contribute to large research efforts, report results, foster trusted relationships with sponsors, and advise on new and evolving technology and techniques.
- Receive technical and professional mentorship to learn about conducting efficient research investigations on diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience and pursue technical leadership roles as well as subject-matter expert/individual contributor roles.
- Engage in research efforts ranging from proof-of-concept through integrated production systems.
This position will be filled as a level 3 or level 4, depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. Typically requires a Bachelors' degree or hire in an Engineering or Science discipline plus 5 years' related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience for a level 3. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher-level jobs. A Masters' degree in Computer Science preferred.
Additional duties of a level 4 include:
- Independently manage multiple and/or large Geospatial engineering projects
- Provide technical leadership within the division for Geospatial engineering projects
- Initiate new Geospatial engineering project concepts and seek funding
Requirements of this position include:
- Demonstrated experience integrating research software into an operational environments related to, Data Sciences, Image Sciences, or Geospatial Sciences
- Experience acquiring project funds and leading projects within a research environment
- Ability to conceptualize an integrated system design, to formulate accurate and useful interfaces and implementations in collaboration with researchers and sponsors, to configure and manage continuous integration systems, to design and execute an integration plan, and to meet task deadlines and goals
- Experience with algorithms, programming, and system engineering
- Experience in one or more of the following: Java, C++, or Python, Git, open source scientific computation, computer vision, modeling, or machine learning tools
- Excellent communication skills, be intrinsically-motivated, dependable, responsive, curious, collaborative, and have excellent interpersonal skills
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security investigation. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply. Employment with ARL will require successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen.
ARL is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we believe this is central to our success as a Department of Defense designated University Affiliated Research Center (UARC). We are at our best when we draw on the talents of all parts of society, and our greatest accomplishments are achieved when diverse perspectives are part of our workforce.