The Curatorial Assistant will assist with the management, cataloguing, organization, rehousing, handling, and movement of objects belonging to the Harvard Museum of the Ancient Near East, with particular focus on its storage collections. Reports to the HMANE Chief Curator.Job-Specific Responsibilities
Performs tasks necessary to undertake the electronic cataloguing (at present: TMS collections management system) and physical inventory of the collections. Tasks include, but are not limited to, researching, performing in-depth identification of the objects, cataloguing the objects. Reorganizes collections in storage, including any necessary re-housing. Lends assistance to Chief Curator in the registration, conservation, documentation (including photography and 3D scanning), research, and exhibition of the collections as assigned. Works with interns,students, and visiting scholars on selected projects. Responsible for the organization and maintenance of specified storage spaces in the Museum. Storage spaces are all within secure areas. The level of security varies depending upon the precise location. These areas can range from simple key access through alarms. Almost all artifacts are in the basement (or on exhibit), with the highest level of security (alarm and/or locked cabinet). The CA will be given all relevant keys and alarm codes for spaces holding artifacts. Performs clerical functions related to the creation and maintenance of the catalogue and the physical inventorying of objects. Performs other duties as required upon request of the Chief Curator.Basic Qualifications
- Two years of museum collections management experience.
- Experiencewith museum cataloguing procedures, inventory methods and emerging technologies, object handling, and/or laboratory processing of artifacts required.
- Experiencemaintaining consistent descriptive standards of museum collections required.
- M.A. or B.A. in archaeology, anthropology, or museum studies preferred. Specialization in the Ancient Near East desired.
- Ability to handle fragile collections in keeping with museum standards and best practices.
- Knowledge of and working experience with materials for display and storage of museum collections beneficial.
- Advanced computer skills and familiarity with collections management databases; knowledge of The Museum System (TMS) preferred.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of team projects.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, flexibility, and initiative.
- The incumbent has or develops a set of specialized skills that will assist the current goals of the Harvard Museum of the Ancient Near East, such as in-depth knowledge of Ancient Near Eastern archaeology, photography, digital image processing, or object handling and movement.
Requires considerable manual dexterity, ability to lift fragile objects, ability to lift 35-40 lbs, repetitive motion at keyboard, long periods of standing and bending.Working Conditions
Most duties will be completed in the HMANE Collections and storage area, a secure/non public space (note: the Collections area is below ground, with little access to natural light) with a small group of interns, student workers and the Chief Curator. Other duties may take place in Artifact Storage & the Exhibit Galleries on floors 1-3 of HMANE.Additional Information
The Curatorial Assistant will contribute significantly to the long-term care of the HMANE collections, thereby facilitating future access, research, and exhibition for scholars and Museum professionals alike. The successful candidate will work closely and regularly with the Chief Curator to improve storage environments, augment digital assets and properly monitor the Museum collection, including objects/artifacts, photos, accession files and excavation reports. Physical exhibitions within the Museum galleries are visited by thousands of students, scholars, and the general public annually, while digital resources, successfully disseminated, can reach hundreds of thousands around the world.
The effectivedate of thisappointmentwill be contingent on the University expanding its return to full operational status.
This is apart-time, 21 hours per week position.
All formal offers will be made by FAS HR.
USA - MA - Cambridge
403082 Curatorial Assistant III
Harvard Museum of the Ancient Near East (HMANE)
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.