Athletic Academic Advisor
Kennesaw State University
Job ID: 227249
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Provides academic advising services to cohort of student-athletes according to designated sport teams and are responsible for managing, counseling and monitoring these student-athletes from admission to graduation throughout their college career. Interviews and advises students regarding information, procedures and academic requirements of a specific program or major. Provides students with program information in the assigned college or program and provides academic and athletic eligibility guidance.
- Assists students with degree and course selection to fulfill graduation requirements
- Fosters student success through tutoring, retention, progression, and graduation initiatives
- Documents interactions with students per established guidelines and assists in maintaining student advisement records
- Meets weekly with academically at-risk students, and assists in implementing success strategies
- Assesses needs for study hall and tutoring for assigned student groups and assesses utilization
- Designs and teaches success skills to students as necessary on time management, organization skills, and strengthening study skills
- Promotes and integrates the Flight Plan to assist student-athletes in seeking internships, and job experiences, to prepare for life after sports
- Communicates continuously with coaches concerning academic progress and concerns of eligibility
- Serves as liaison to campus faculty and communicates official team travel requirements and academic progress each semester
- Participates in recruiting of student-athletes and is contact person for admission process
- Responds to inquires or connects student-athletes to appropriate resource concerning athletic financial aid, housing, Registrar's office, Student Conduct office, Bursars office or other obstacles that student-athletes encounter
- Serves as a member of the NCAA certification team, and reviews eligibility status of assigned student-athletes each semester
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in a related field
One (1) year related work experience advising student-athletes (or closely related profession)
Preferred Educational Qualifications
Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in Post-Secondary Education, Business, or related field preferred
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Able to interpret degree and/or program requirements and related university policies
- Able to apply NCAA rules and regulations to the advising process
- Knowledge of NCAA policies and procedures of reporting Academic Progress Rate (APR) and be able to forecast potential implication of lost APR points
- Must be familiar with NCAA bylaw 14 and be able to ensure students are following requirements for eligibility
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
- Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Education
All applicants are required to include professional references as part of their application process. Some positions may require additional job-based screenings such as motor vehicle report, credit check, pre-employment drug screening and/or verification of academic credentials. https://www.usg.edu/hr/assets/hr/hrap_manual/HRAP_Background_Investigation_Employment.pdf
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=227249&PostingSeq=1