Director, Equal Opportunity & Outreach, Title IX and ADA Deputy Coordinator
General Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor, Equal Opportunity and Outreach and Diversity and Inclusion, investigate complaints related to potential violations of the university's equal opportunity and Title IX policies. Manages the daily office operations, including the status of the investigations and provides guidance and support to the Equal Opportunity and Outreach personnel in all the equal opportunity matters, including but not limited to civil rights, Title IX, ADA /504. Under the guidance and leadership of the Associate Vice Chancellor, provide assistance, advice, and counsel to the university's community regarding civility, equal opportunity, Title IX, diversity and inclusion matters, and reviews the office's policies and procedures to ensure they are current and based on best practices. In collaboration with the Associate Vice Chancellor develops and delivers equal opportunity and diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives to provide information and education to the community and to enhance the employees and students' knowledge and understanding in these areas to assist the university in fostering an environment that is welcoming, respectful and safe for all. Works with other members of the Human Resources and Equal Opportunity & Outreach team.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Juris Doctor *
- 8-10 years directly related experience involving equal opportunity, state and federal civil rights and employment- discrimination, including, but not limited to, the Title IX regulations, the Massachusetts Campus Sexual Violence Act, and other related litigation including experience conducting trauma informed EEO and Massachusetts employment discrimination related investigations and responding to external complaints.
- Prior experience with public sector unions and/or higher education labor relations or human resources
- Proven ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of the university's HR informational data
- Demonstrated experience implementing a variety of civil rights, equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion initiatives, programs and policies
- Demonstrated knowledge of current Human Resources and Equal Opportunity Management practices
- Knowledge of appropriate federal and state employment discrimination, Title IX, VI, VII, ADA, Section 504 and other related laws and practices
* Master's degree in a related field may be substituted for the Juris Doctor degree
- Knowledge of appropriate UMass Trustee and campus' regulations, policies and practices
- Ability to work effectively in both a team/group environment, and independently with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with internal and external staff and outside agencies both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to effectively provide information in an individual or group presentation
- Proven ability to effectively supervise and motivate office personnel
- Proficient in Maxient, Applicant Tracking Systems, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and other Microsoft Office programs
The University is located in the historic industrial city of Lowell, Massachusetts and serves the multicultural population of the Commonwealth. The University of Massachusetts Lowell, located about 25 miles northwest of Boston in the high-tech corridor of Massachusetts, is a tier-1 public research university. UMass Lowell is committed to educating students for lifelong success in a diverse world, and to conducting research and outreach activities that sustain the economic, environmental, and social health of the region. We seek a diverse talented candidate pool to be part of our mission and achievements.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled; however, the posting may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.