Senior Human Resource Generalist
Who We Are:
National Louis is a 135+ year old university that has been grounded in the values of innovation, access, excellence, and equity from its inception. As an institution, we believe in providing access to educational opportunity and that education is our greatest lever for social and economic mobility. We are a student-focused community that is committed to continuous improvement and superior student service. We believe that through education we are able to empower change and build healthy communities. Our hard-working community is based on collaboration and respect for all team members and students.
What We Offer:
At National Louis University, we offer our employees an innovative environment to work together and inspire the ideas that will make an impact. As our external environment changes, our employees are provided the opportunities and tools needed to grow both personally and professionally to remain successful. NLU employees and dependents are offered a wide range of benefits, including but not limited to, Health Insurance benefits, Retirement benefits, Paid Time Off and Educational Benefits.
What You Will Do:
The Sr. HR Generalist will be a key business partner in providing support in a variety of capacities to diverse populations throughout the University. This position will apply knowledge of Human Resources and DEI issues to implement various procedures, policies and training initiatives for the University. This role will be participating in strategic initiatives to help drive the success of the university through employee engagement, professional development and inclusive initiatives. Incumbent will carry out responsibilities in employee relations, performance management, and training, and will assist with executing employee-facing DEI events and initiatives. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to diverse individuals at all levels within the organization. The Sr. HR Generalist must be sensitive to university needs and employee goodwill.
- Serves as initial point of contact for employee inquiries, concerns, and grievances, providing guidance and resolution in compliance with University policies and local, state, and federal laws. Collaborates with managers to address performance issues, develop improvement plans, and facilitate disciplinary actions when necessary.
- Facilitates DEI training sessions, workshops, discussions, and events to raise awareness, promote cultural competency, and drive organizational change. Assists with planning and implementation of DEI strategies in support of the University's strategic objectives and in accordance with NLU's mission statement.
- Provides guidance and training to managers and employees on HR policies, procedures, and compliance requirements.
- Assists Director of HR, Employee Relations, Development, & DEB in conducting investigations into employee complaints or misconduct, ensuring fairness, confidentiality, and compliance with legal requirements. Maintain required documentation, including intake and investigative notes, supporting documents, and final reports.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret HR data related to strategic plan initiatives to identify trends, gaps, and opportunities for improvement. Utilize data insights to provide suggestions to drive continuous improvement into HR programs and practices.
- Maintains knowledge of relevant employment laws, regulations, and industry best practices to ensure HR policies, procedures, and practices are compliant and up-to-date. Maintains knowledge of diversity and inclusion-related issues, legislation, and best practices.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or related field, required
- HRCI or SHRM Certification, strongly preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in Human Resources, preferably in employee relations
- At least 3 years of experience and/or education related to DEIB
- Knowledge and understanding of employment laws and how they impact employee relations
- Experience working in Higher Education is a plus
- Relationship Building - Builds rapport and develops alliances with a broad range of people. Adjusts communication style to meet the needs of individuals at various organizational levels and to meet the needs of clients. Forms alliances by demonstrating concern and respect for others, as well as by highlighting common interests and aspirations. Leave others feeling that he/she will be a trusted ally and is careful to act in ways that reinforce that trust over time.
- Handling Difficult Issues - Handles sensitive or difficult issues with grace and confidence. Remains clear-headed and focused and inspires others to do the same. Remains objective in the face of strong emotions. Can acknowledge strong emotions without being unduly influenced by their intensity.
- Conflict Resolution - Takes actions that resolve conflicts in a manner that is best for both the organization and the individuals involved. Addresses complaints and problems quickly and effectively, keeps all parties informed of the status of any negotiations required, encourages employees to report problems or concerns and negotiates outcomes that are viewed as fair and even-handed.
- Adaptability/Flexibility - Adjusts quickly and effectively to changing conditions and demands. Discusses change as a necessary and inevitable aspect of organizational life as well as an opportunity to learn new things. Has a similar view and approach to potentially stressful situations. Invests personal energy toward accepting and adapting to change that others use toward resisting or resenting it.
- Managing Multiple Priorities - Handles multiple assignments and priorities yet still fulfills all commitments. Readily accepts new responsibilities and adapts well to changes in procedures. Gives appropriate priorities to various work demands.
- Problem Solving - Takes a proactive approach to anticipating and preventing problems. When problems occur, defines those problems, investigates obstacles, gathers relevant information, decides whether solving the problem should be a group decision, generates and analyzes alternate solutions and arrives at a workable solution.
- Training and Development - Ensures that staff members get a sufficient amount of orientation, training and developmental opportunities to maximize their chances of being successful in their assignments. Views training and development as an investment in employees and uses mentoring, cross-functional assignments, job rotation or other on-the-job learning opportunities to enhance the depth and breadth of skills and experience. Also encourages self-development activities.