Social Media Coordinator
The social media coordinator helps build and support Virginia Tech's online reputation and advances the university's strategic goals, priorities, and messages.
Reporting to the social media manager, this position works collaboratively across Communications and Marketing and with many campus partners to create, execute, and monitor social media campaigns. They will engage in a variety of community management activities, as directed, which includes managing editorial-focused social media accounts and monitoring other social media platforms on behalf of Virginia Tech.
The social media coordinator must demonstrate good professional judgment, follow university brand guidelines, and adhere to university policies and procedures. They must maintain a level of confidentiality with sensitive situations. They must also be able to work nights, weekends, and hours outside of the traditional workday especially in times of heightened activity such as snow days, large events, and unexpected crises.
The social media coordinator will do this work in an accessible and inclusive manner for diverse audiences; use photos/videos effectively on social media platforms; follow, implement, and evaluate social media trends; and advance ideas in an inclusive manner.
- Demonstrated experience producing content (written, video, photos, graphics) for social media and/or other digital platforms.
- Demonstrated experience planning, executing, and monitoring communications campaigns
- Demonstrated understanding of audience-platform relationships and how that can affect messaging and best practices
- Demonstrated experience analyzing social media analytics and creating reports to inform social media strategy
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, or another related field
- Marketing experience
- Crisis/issues communications experience
- Prior experience in higher education social media management with demonstrated achievements and progressive responsibilities
- Experience using social media management tools and apps
- Familiarity with website content management systems
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, or similar tools
$45,000-$50,000 - Commensurate with experience
- Emergency Personnel
- Safe Driving Record
- Uncommon Work Schedule - (Rotating Shifts, Weekend, Nights)
- Considerable Walking, Standing, Bending, Stooping
- Unable to sponsor work visa
- The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Advancement HR at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.