Assistant or Associate Professor of Kinesiology
Gordon College invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor in Biomechanics in Kinesiology. The position can be either tenure-track with research responsibilities, or a non-tenure track teaching appointment. Rank will be commensurate with experience. The position begins August 2024.
Located on Boston’s North Shore, a beautiful coastal area in a classic New England town with easy access to the Boston area, Gordon College is a vibrant Christian community committed to the liberal arts. We strive to foster conversation at the intersection of faith and cultural engagement in a wide variety of disciplines, all with the mission to prepare Christian men and women to actively participate in every community in which they find themselves.
We seek someone who exhibits excellence in Kinesiology, is a committed Christian, and is passionate about teaching and mentoring undergraduate students from diverse cultural backgrounds in a Christian liberal arts setting. Kinesiology offers a robust program with concentrations in Exercise and Rehabilitation Sciences and Fitness and Wellness. We specifically seek a dedicated professional to teach Clinical and Advanced Biomechanics, Exercise Testing, Strength and Conditioning, associated labs, and Senior Seminar, along with other needs in the program. The candidate must have a passion for instruction at all levels of undergraduate instruction, particularly including our new Health Science major.
The ideal candidate will have prior teaching experience, will be able to energize undergraduate students interested in kinesiology and health science, will support majors through coursework and outside experiences, and will engage students in research. In addition, the ideal candidate for the tenure-track position will be interested in developing a research direction that is publishable and includes grant support. The ideal candidate also will support majors interested in the classroom.
The Kinesiology program has outstanding faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching, research, and service, and motivated students who are eager to engage in research with their faculty colleagues in the Department of Life, Health, and Physical Sciences. The program is housed in the Ken Olsen Science Center that includes: a bioenergetics laboratory equipped with state-of-the-art isokinetic dynamometry and metabolic assessment equipment; a biomechanics laboratory with two AMTI force plates and 6 Vicon cameras; a neuromotor control lab with a Bertec Functional Balance System and an EMG system; and an anatomy and physiology laboratory with cadaver-based study. The kinesiology program also maintains strong connections with the Center for Balance, Mobility, and Wellness. The Center provides outpatient physical therapy services for individuals with neurological, vestibular, and balance and gait disorders. The Gordon College campus includes a 72,000 square foot state-of-the-art athletic and recreation facility, a 30-element high and low ropes course, an indoor rock gym, and hundreds of acres of ponds and trails.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate a dynamic Christian faith;
- Excel at teaching and have a strong desire to develop long-term relationships with undergraduate students;
- Show a commitment to nurturing and promoting diversity in their educational and professional communities;
- Have a Ph.D. in Kinesiology (or related field) with an emphasis on Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, or Human Performance completed by the time of appointment;
- Exhibit research momentum that will include undergraduates;
- Complement and extend expertise in the department.
Interested applicants must submit:
- A letter of application that addresses their fit with the Christian mission of Gordon College and with the specific position;
- A CV that includes the names and contact information for three references;
- A statement of teaching philosophy;
- A description of research;
- A sample of an academic publication (for the tenure-track line).
TO APPLY: Please go to apply.interfolio.com/140464. Our review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.