Tenure-Track Math Instructor
Shoreline Community College
Tenure-Track Math Instructor
Shoreline Community College
Salary: See Position Description
Job Number: TTMath24
Location: Shoreline Community College, WA
Department: Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM)
Date of First Consideration: April 1, 2024
Salary: $53,816 - $77,156/ academic year (172 day contract), dependent upon education/experience
Welcome! Learn more About Shoreline AND Video Tour Our Campus!
Our Math Department faculty are caring, knowledgeable, and approachable instructors who are committed to making sure students start out in the right class and successfully gain the mathematical skills they need to get to their next step. Instruction emphasizes critical thinking, communicating, quantitative reasoning, and problem solving.
The successful candidate has the ability and experience to teach the entire sequence of math courses offered in multiple modalities. Courses may include:
- Intermediate Algebra
- Math in Society
- Differential Equations
- Linear Algebra
- Corequisite courses that provide algebra support for introductory college-level courses
Faculty at Shoreline will have a wide range of students from differing programs in their classroom, including professional technical and university transfer. Shoreline seeks a candidate that can identify and mitigate the barriers to success that many students face and be passionate about creating an equitable learning environment that supports success for all students.
Required Education and Experience
- Master's degree in Mathematics or Applied Mathematics OR a Bachelor's in Mathematics with a Master's in Mathematics Education OR a Bachelor's in Mathematics with a Master's in Statistics.
- Documented successful teaching experience in Mathematics
- Experience teaching in a higher education environment
- Microsoft Office programs, learning management systems and other appropriate instructional technology
- Current trends in corequisite math support models
- Demonstrating a sound knowledge of mathematics in a wide range of levels
- Fostering a climate of equity and belonging through multicultural awareness and responsiveness
- Imparting excitement and enthusiasm into the instruction of Mathematics
- Experience with or willingness to gain experience with teaching and developing coursework in a variety of modalities (online, in-person, hybrid)
- Contributing to equity and belonging through multicultural awareness and competence
- Effective oral and written communication with individuals at all levels inside and outside the College
- Adapting to a variety of teaching situations with students from diverse backgrounds and abilities
- Developing and modifying curriculum both collaboratively and independently
- Working and interacting effectively with colleagues, staff, students, administrators, and others of various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
Physical Work Environment:
The College is currently in mixed (both in-person and online) operations, with the option for some assignments to completed in an online environment based on program or area needs. If authorized by the College for remote (online) instruction, faculty will need to provide their own workspace and internet access, noting the College will provide technical equipment and support for online work needs. For on-campus in-person instruction, work is usually performed in a classroom/office space that requires standing and/or sitting for extended periods of time. Faculty typically use computers and media equipment in the work environment.
Term of Employment/Salary:
This is a full-time, tenure track position, with a 172-day annual contract beginning September 19, 2024. Salary placement is determined by the number of qualifying years of teaching/work experience combined with educational preparation. Hiring of this position is contingent upon available funding as determined by the College President.
Shoreline Community College is committed to providing equal opportunity in education and employment for all students, employees, and applicants, and does not allow discrimination or harassment on the basis of race or ethnicity, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, religion, status as an honorably discharged veteran or military status, political affiliation or belief, citizenship/status as a lawfully admitted immigrant authorized to work in the United States, or presence of any physical, sensory, or mental disability. For our full non-discrimination statement and contact information, visit: https://www.shoreline.edu/about-shoreline/non-discrimination.aspx.
Persons with disabilities have the right to reasonable accommodation in all aspects of employment with the College. This includes, but is not limited to recruitment, application, hiring, training, termination, conditions of employment, and any other employer-supported activities. Applicants requesting accommodation should contact the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by the Associated Federation of Teachers Local #1950.
- In compliance with the Immigration and Nationality Act, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
- Other conditions that may apply will be detailed upon offer of employment.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following:
- NEOGOV online profile, application, and supplemental questions
- Letter of interest addressing qualifications related to the needs of the position
- Current resume
- Unofficial Transcripts documenting relevant and highest degrees (official required upon hire)
- Attach a 1-2-page sample of course materials you have created for a class, such as a worksheet, project, or assignment. Choose an example which you feel was both creative and effective in conveying the instructional concepts. Include a description of the goal(s) and context of your submission.
Applicants considered for positions at the College may be required to submit to a background check as a condition of employment. Adverse information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability for the position.
*Community Standard Statement"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly ..." -- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Shoreline Community College is a place for students, employees, and the community to pursue excellence in education in an environment dedicated to equity, inclusiveness, and self-reflection. We value respectful, dynamic interactions and lively discussion. We strive to create an environment where everyone is supported and valued. Shoreline Community College does not tolerate hateful, violent, or discriminatory actions that target any person or group based on their beliefs, customs, identity, or affiliations. When one of us is diminished, all of us are diminished.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/shorelinecc/jobs/4384816/tenure-track-math-instructor