Lead Bistro Cook
Walla Walla Community College
Walla Walla Community College
Salary: $18.07 - $23.40 Hourly
Job Number: 2024 675G PT
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Department: WORKFORCE TRANSFER & TRADES
Join our team to help inspire all students to discover their potential and achieve their goals by providing relevant, equitable, and innovative learning opportunities and services.
OFM classification title: Food Service Worker Lead
Walla Walla Community College is accepting applications to fill the part-time role of Lead Bistro Cook to work in our Titus Creek Bistro on the Walla Walla Campus.
At Walla Walla Community College, we inspire all students to discover their potential and achieve their goals by providing relevant, equitable, and innovative learning opportunities and services. We have identified three core themes that describe the fundamental aspects of the College's mission by translating it into practice: Student Success, Strong Communities, and Resource Stewardship. As an organization, we value learning opportunities, a sense of community, diversity, health and humor, excellence, integrity, teamwork, innovation, personal and professional growth, and sustainability.
The position provides support for the campus food service operations in order to support the mission of the organization by providing nutritional sustenance for staff, faculty, and the student body. This provision provides the campus community with the energy needed to teach, learn and achieve personal goals.
This lead position role will assist the Kitchen Manager in the operations and food preparation for the Titus Creek Bistro. The positon will fill any scheduling gaps as needed in order to keep the bistro open during the times of operation.
- Assist with the opening and closing operations in the absence of the Kitchen Manager
- Assist Kitchen Manager in food prep coordination and time management of food preparation
- Lead Bistro Cooks; provide training on basic line cooking fundamentals and basic to moderately advanced cooking methods to Bistro Cooks
- Responsible for expediting tickets and garnish plates during busy rushes
- Execute moist & dry heat cooking methods; proper knife work for a variety of menu items
- Prepare sauces & dressings; follow standardized recipes, measurement, and portion control
- Prepare grab-n-go sandwiches and salads; prepare baked goods
- Follow par inventory lists
- Make stocks and soups
- Be able to work all stations including; griddle, saute, garde mange, and fryer
- Assist with creation of Specials
- Lead and assist team members
- Execute menu items and specials to the Chef's quality standards
- Be able to keep a clean and well stocked station in busy rushes
- Be able to maintain consistent 10-minute ticket times
- Follow all opening & closing checklists
- Clean & sanitize all equipment, tables and floors on a daily basis
- Clean & sanitize all soiled dishes and utensils using the dish machine or three-compartment sink; keep all hand towel stations and soap dispensers full
- Maintain proper personal hygiene
- Safely handling degreasers and other potentially hazardous cleaning products
- Taking apart equipment. Putting equipment back together. Scrubbing and polishing all stainless steel
- Assist Kitchen Manger with the inventory process
- Receive orders; ensure orders are complete and organized by department
- Inspect delivered items for quality standards
- Maintain a clean and organized schedule for the coolers
- Stock all coolers with proper items; follow the FIFO rule when rotating stock
- Manage dry, refrigerated and frozen storage areas
- Consolidate and refresh stock on a daily basis
- Monitor all critical control points throughout the flow of food for cross-contamination and time-temperature abuse prevention
- Consolidate and organize all reach-ins daily
- Manage stock pricing and levels in POS system
- Take customer orders; execute sales transactions
- Help answer customer questions, maintain a positive and helpful demeanor towards all customers
- Maintain a working knowledge of the POS system
- Excellent customer services skills
- Leadership and interpersonal skills, ability to work as a team member
- Knowledge of retail selling and inventory
- Ability to handle equipment used in food service operations
- Ability to make arithmetical calculations
- Works well with others in a professional manner, including positive interpersonal communication.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Washington State Food Handlers Permit
- Schedule flexibility between the times of 8am-5pm Monday - Friday
- Three years of professional line cooking experience
- Valid driver's license.
- Reliable, daily transportation
- Bilingual - English/Spanish
This part-time temporary position (up to 17-hours per week) is located at the Walla Walla Campus. Vacation, sick leave and personal leave benefits are available on a pro-rated basis.
Work environment is in a cafe setting with high levels of activity, mostly standing position. May include:
- Combination of sitting, walking, standing, bending, stooping, or carrying light objects.
- Use of fingers, hands and arms to operate keyboard devices.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to move inventory.
- Standing on your feet for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to relocate objects up to 40 lbs. with or without the use of hand trucks, dollies and other aids.
- Use of kitchen appliances and tools
Persons hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of lawful authorization to work in the United States within three (3) days of employment. WWCC participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. Candidates may be subject to a criminal history background check as a condition of employment. Information from the background check may not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position. WWCC requires all employees to participate in direct deposit for payment of salary. WWCC is a tobacco free campus.
Required Application Materials
This position is posted as open until filled. Applications are screened as received. To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required qualifications and submit a complete application packet that includes the following:
- Online NEOGOV application
- Contact information for three professional references
- Unofficial Transcripts (if applicable)
WWCC reserves the right to not fill this position, reject all applicants, or reopen the position. Applications received during this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies at the College's discretion.
Walla Walla Community College is committed to provide equal opportunity and nondiscrimination for all educational and employment applicants as well as for its students and employed staff, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, including gender expression/identity, marital status, age (over 40), the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, the use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, or status as a Vietnam and/or disabled veteran, National Guard member or reservist in accordance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Federal Rehabilitation of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and any other applicable Federal and Washington State laws against discrimination. The Human Resources Office is accessible to persons with disabilities. If you need accommodations in the application/employment process, please contact Brooke Marshall, JD/Vice President of Human Resources/Title IX Coordinator/Section 504 Compliance (509) 527-4300 - TDD (509) 527-4412, email firstname.lastname@example.org, address: 500 Tausick Way, Walla Walla WA, 99362.
To apply, please visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/wwcc/jobs/4386576/lead-bistro-cook