Post Doctoral Fellow - Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology
West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently accepting applications for a Post Doctoral Fellow with Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology
About the Opportunity
The Department of Physiology, Pharmacology and Toxicology in the West Virginia University School of Medicine is seeking applications for a Post Doctoral Fellow. This position is responsible for a translational project to elucidate the role of environmental exposures and innate immune signaling in lung injury and repair. Current research in the lab of Dr. Hussain is focused on the understanding of molecular and cellular basis of pulmonary disease susceptibility after inhalation exposures to environmental stressors (xenobiotic particles and gases). For further information about the scientific details of the research, please visit the lab website at https://hussainlab.org/.
The successful candidate will be required to perform experimental work, perform experimental data analysis, oversee/direct, and assist undergraduate and graduate researchers in the completion of experiments. Salary will be based upon experience and NIH salary level.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
* 18 sick days per year
(for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
* WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
* 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
* Wellness programs
What you'll do:* Perform experimental work
* Perform experimental data analysis, oversee/direct, and assist undergraduate and graduate researchers in the completion of experiments
* Work with mice, including handling, breeding and dosing and molecular biology skills and competency
- A Ph.D. in toxicology, cell and molecular biology, immunology, developmental biology, regenerative medicine, or a relevant biomedical field is required.
- A minimum of one (1) year of hands-on experience in animal models of pulmonary diseases and/or cell culture techniques is required. This experience is typically acquired through the course of doctoral training.
- Ability to work with mice, including handling, breeding, and dosing
- Molecular biology skills and competency
- Skilled in performing immune assays, such as ELISA, flow cytometry, and cell-sorting methods
- Skilled at using scientific rules and methods to solve problems
- Skilled at identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a multidisciplinary team of co-investigators from diverse disciplines, orientations, and organizations
- Cover Letter
- Current CV
- Contact information for three (3) references
Due to the nature of this job, it may or may not require Medical Monitoring
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Feb 9, 2024
Posting Classification: FE/AP
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes