Research Technician I (Temporary)
Posting Number: req18868
Department: Sch of Nat Resource&Enviro-Res
Location: Main Campus
Address: Tucson, AZ USA
The Arizona Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit is hiring a summer field technician to assist with for a field study of three gartersnake species, the federally listed Thamnophis Rufipunctatus (Narrow-headed gartersnake), Thamnophis elegans (Western terrestrial gartersnake) and Thamnophis Cyrtopsis (Black-necked gartersnaker), in central Arizona. The technician will be an employee of the University of Arizona and will work under the supervision of the Arizona Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit. The goal for the project is to collect demographic and movement data for Thamnophis rufipunctatus to help inform their species status and to compare their ecology to that of sympatric Thamnophis species.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance and disability programs; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Primary duties will include trapping for snakes using aquatic minnow traps, conducting visual encounter surveys, monitoring snake movement using VHF radio telemetry and PIT tag telemetry, and assisting with measuring and marking snakes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Available for work throughout the summer and willingness to accommodate any potential shifts in field schedule.
- Willingness to work long hours, and ability to carry a pack/field gear not exceeding 30 lbs.
- A strong enthusiasm for field work and willingness to work outdoors
in variable or adverse field conditions (e.g., heat, sudden rain,
venomous reptiles) and hike on steep and uneven surfaces, including
extensive walking within the creek.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience is required.
- Previous camping experience and comfort with
extended primitive camping.
- Experience using hand-held GPS units for navigation and/or data collection.
- This position is full-time (40 hours per week) but will require working long field days at irregular hours, including weekends.
- This position also requires extended primitive camping at Canyon Creek, approximately 75 minutes from the nearest large town (Payson, AZ).
- Bachelor's degree in biology, wildlife science, or a related field
- Previous wildlife-related field experience
- Experience using VHF and or PIT tag telemetry
- Previous experience capturing, handling, measuring, and marking snakes
- Experience with the herpetofauna of central Arizona
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Limited Benefits
Rate of Pay: $15.00 - $18.75
Compensation Type: hourly rate
The Rate of Pay Field represents the University of Arizona's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. The University considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate's work experience, education/training, key skills, and internal equity.
The Grade Range Minimum, Midpoint, and Maximum Fields listed below represent a full range of career compensation growth over time in this position and grade. Each unit typically sets starting pay between minimum and midpoint upon hire. The university offers compensation growth opportunities within its career architecture. To learn more about compensation, please review our Applicant Compensation Guide and our Total Rewards Calculator.
Grade Range Minimum
Grade Range Midpoint
Grade Range Maximum
Career Stream and Level
Research & Lab
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Expected End Date: 8/28/2024
Contact Information for Candidates
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Notice of Availability of the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), each year the University of Arizona releases an Annual Security Report (ASR) for each of the University's campuses. These reports disclose information including Clery crime statistics for the previous three calendar years and policies, procedures, and programs the University uses to keep students and employees safe, including how to report crimes or other emergencies and resources for crime victims. As a campus with residential housing facilities, the Main Campus ASR also includes a combined Annual Fire Safety report with information on fire statistics and fire safety systems, policies, and procedures.
Paper copies of the Reports can be obtained by contacting the University Compliance Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.