Preschool Teacher, ASUM Child Care
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
ASUM Child Care invites applications for a Preschool Teacher to join their team. The Preschool Teacher will be expected to make decisions in regards to lesson plans, child guidance training and supervising the student staff and caregiver, within our program guidelines and procedures. The teacher will have access to the counsel of the site program assistant and director for more challenging situations or more complex decisions.
- Effectively supervise all children for safety and overall general health
- Develop and implement age-appropriate lesson plans for the children enrolled
- Serve as a role model for other caregivers and student aides
- Train and supervise student staff in their daily duties
- Establish a rapport with parents in the program, working to best meet their children’s needs
- Use of good judgment and ability to remain calm.
- The knowledge of Montana State licensing standards and the ability to apply and enforce them.
- Knowledge of child development, quality early childhood practices, positive child guidance techniques and the care and supervision of children.
- Ability to develop and implement developmentally appropriate lesson plans.
- Ability to implement and assess quality early childhood practices.
- Ability to assess children’s development and progress and provide portfolio documentation of that progress.
- Ability to follow written meal preparation and food service standards.
- Knowledge of acceptable safety, sanitation and food handling practices.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to communicate and supervise classroom staff effectively in a constructive and positive way.
- Ability to multi-task, effectively manage time, delegate tasks and prioritize.
- Desire and ability to create and maintain a positive work environment, work as a team with all center staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents.
- Implement parent involvement activities.
- Ability and willingness to accept constructive feedback from parents, co-workers or supervisor.
- Ability to be the leader within the classroom and confidently make decisions.
- CDA (Child Development Associate) credential with at least 12 college credits in Early Childhood Education or at least 24 college credits in Early Childhood Education, with plans and progress toward obtaining, at a minimum, their Early Childhood Associate of Applied Science in Early Childhood Education degree and two (2) years of experience in a licensed or registered childcare program.
- Early Childhood Education degree.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in a license child care program.
- Participation in or knowledge of NAEYC Accreditation preferred.
ASUM Child Care’s primary mission is to provide and promote the quality care and education of young children.
The University of Montana is flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains and three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Preschool Teacher
Position Number: 480050
Department: ASUM Child Care
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $18.75/hr Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
**Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.Position Type