Assistant Teacher, ASUM Child Care
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College. Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
ASUM Child Care invites applications for an Assistant Teacher to join their team. The Assistant Teacher will support the lead teacher in the direct care and supervision of children enrolled in ASUM Child Care.
- Implement program practices, procedures and policies.
- Assist with supervision of student staff and in developing rapport with parents.
- Assist with basic implementation of the curriculum and use of positive behavior guidance techniques with the children.
- Complete administrative duties of the CACFP (Child and Adult Care Food Program).
- Assist with daily center operations and perform general oversight duties as directed.
- Work as a team to accomplish program goals.
- Assist with setting up and maintaining the classroom according to state, accreditation and curricular standards.
- Assist with the collection of developmental assessment data and compilation of child portfolios.
- Oversee the classroom operations from 3:30-5:30 PM and substitute for the lead teacher on occasion as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team.
- Ability to verbally communicate with both adults and children.
- Ability to use good judgment and remain calm in different in difficult situations.
- Ability to learn and apply licensing, CACFP, health and accreditation standards.
- Understand acceptable early childhood practices, the stages of child development, and acceptable positive behavior guidance techniques.
- Ability to follow instructions and demonstrate accurate record keeping, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Current first aid and CPR certification by first day of employment.
- CDA (Child Development Associate) credential or be working towards a BS in Early Childhood Education or related field of study.
- High School diploma and/or two (2) years of experience in a licensed or registered child care facility.
- Early Childhood Education Degree.
- Knowledge of applicable UM policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of NAEYC Accreditation Standards and Code of Ethics.
- Knowledge of CACFP policies, practices and procedures including meal preparation and service.
The University of Montana is a flagship, research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Assistant Teacher (Teacher’s Aide)
Position Number: 480160
Department: ASUM Childcare
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $17.125/hr–Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and will minimally be this posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. To receive full consideration, candidates are required to submit all of the following materials.
Please submit the following application materials** via the UM Jobs portal and by clicking "New Resume/CV" button. Please do not apply through Indeed.com*.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.
**Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.Position Type