Three-year Visiting Assistant Professor in Sports Science and Health Education
Visiting Assistant Professor in Sports Science and Health Education
Simpson College: Academic Affairs: Division of Education and Sport and Health Sciences: Sport Science and Health Education
Feb 08, 2024
The Department of Sports Science and Health Education invites applicants for a full-time, 3-year faculty position beginning with the 2024-2025 academic year with possibility for renewal. The department offers majors in Health and Exercise Science, Physical Education, Sport Administration, and Healthcare Administration. It is seeking a dynamic candidate committed to teaching excellence to complement the department's current strengths while contributing to their own area of expertise. Qualified candidates with advanced knowledge and experience in physical activity epidemiology, health promotion, or biomechanics are preferred. Current strengths of the program include exercise physiology, sport performance, nutrition, and injury assessment, diagnosis, and rehabilitation.
The selected candidate will:
- Teach 24-28 credits per year, consistent with departmental need and candidate’s training and interests. Courses may include Introduction to Health Careers, General Nutrition, Functional Human Anatomy, Public Health, Health Care Ethics, Health Promotion & Behavior Change, or Health Epidemiology.
- Contribute to student success and recruitment, enhance equity and an inclusive environment through engagement in the general education program, advise students, and incorporate experiential learning into coursework.
- Terminal degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Health & Human Performance, Public Health, Biomechanics, or similar field. PhD or EdD required (ABD considered).
- Evidence of successful, innovative college-level teaching experience with ability to utilize research and classroom technology.
- Demonstrate on-going commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrate ability to develop partnerships and collaborate with colleagues to facilitate student experiential learning, research, and internship opportunities.
- Willingness to participate in department activities, service to the college, and ability to work with faculty, staff, and students in a collegial and cooperative manner.
To apply, please submit 1) letter of application, 2) CV, 3) a one-two page teaching statement, 4) a one-two page diversity statement, and 5) three letters of recommendation.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment VISA at this time.
Review of applications will begin on March 6 and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMINATION: Applicants for admission and employment, students, parents of students, employees, sources of referral for admission and employment, and all unions or professional organizations holding collective bargaining or professional agreements with Simpson College are hereby notified that this institution does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, creed, religion, disability, genetic information, veteran or veteran disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected characteristic in admission, access to, treatment or employment in, its programs and activities. Any persons having inquiries concerning Simpson College’s compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title VII, Title IX – Section 504 or Americans with Disabilities Act are directed to contact Mary Ellen Bartley-Nancarrow, Director of Human Resources, Simpson College, 701 North C Street, Indianola, Iowa 50125-1299, (515) 961-1511. Persons may also contact the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, regarding the institution’s compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, Title VII, Title IX – Section 504, or Americans with Disabilities Act.
TITLE IX: Simpson College does not discriminate in its employment practices or in its educational programs or activities on the basis of sex/gender. Simpson College also prohibits retaliation against any person opposing discrimination or participating in any discrimination investigation or complaint process internally or externally. Reports of misconduct, questions regarding Title IX, and concerns about non-compliance should be directed to the Title IX Coordinator. For a complete copy of the policy, more information, or to report an instance of sex or gender-based discrimination, please contact the Title IX Coordinator (email@example.com) and/or the Assistant Secretary of Education within the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/complaintintro.html.
The College is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include but are not limited to criminal history, national sex offender search, and motor vehicle history. Simpson’s annual security compliance document is available on the Simpson Security website. To comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you will be required to, upon being made an offer of employment, produce documents that are specified by the federal government to establish your identity and right to work in the United States. These documents must be produced no later than seventy-two (72) hours after beginning paid employment. Questions? Contact the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org
SIMPSON COLLEGE PROMOTES A CLEAR AIR LEARNING AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT. SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ON COLLEGE PROPERTY.