(MT) Research Aide - Department of Neuroscience
West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently accepting applications for a Temporary Research Aide for the Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute/Department of Neuroscience
About the Opportunity
The Research Aide will assist with mouse studies that address the relationship between Alzheimer's disease and periodontal disease.
What you'll do:
- The successful applicant will be able to assist with bacteria and drug administration.
- Tasks require expertise in handling mice, administering chemical or biological solutions to mice, and processing bacterial cultures. Responsible for assisting with husbandry tasks such as weaning and genotyping mice.
Length of Assignment: Approximately 8.5 months
Pay Grade: 10
- Associate's degree OR an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- A minimum of 0-6 months experience with small animal handling is required. Prior microbiology experience is preferred but not required.
- Ability to handle live rodents in experimental settings.
- Ability to work some weekends.
- Attention to detail and ability to comprehend and follow verbal instructions and/or written or published protocols.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills for communicating effectively and courteously with PI and lab personnel.
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Feb 8, 2024
Posting Classification: Temporary
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: No