Biology Technician - Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
West Virginia University Research Corporation is currently accepting applications for a Biology Technician for Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
About the Opportunity
The position supports immunology related projects in Dr. Edwin Wan's research lab in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology. This team uses animal models and clinical specimens to study the role of cytokines in neurological diseases.
This position performs various support duties and responds to inquiries and resolves matters of relatively low complexity. Responsibilities require some basic decision making and resourcefulness within available guides and precedents. Work effort impacts client services, program and project image, with nominal liabilities.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
* 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
* 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
* A range of health insurance and various other benefits
* Dependent Education Scholarship
* WVU Perks
* And More!!
What you'll do:
- Conducting research, such as animal experiments, cell culture, and experiments that employ various cell and molecular biology techniques.
- Overseeing and supporting routine laboratory operations, such as ordering and inventory management, development of experimental protocols, preparation of reagents, and maintenance of animal colonies.
- Assisting graduate and undergraduate students on their research projects.
- Assisting the principal investigator in preparing manuscript and grant applications.
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences or related field;
- A minimum of 0-1 year of research experience in immunology, neuroscience, cell and molecular biology, or equivalent.
Or an equivalent amount of experience and/or education.
- Ability to manage animal colonies is preferred but not required
- Cell culture technique is preferred but not required
- Standard cell and molecular biology techniques, such as DNA and RNA purification, cloning, PCR, western blotting is preferred but not required
- Skill in flow cytometric analysis is preferred but not required
- Skill in immuno-histochemistry is preferred but not required
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to work independently to complete assigned projects
Due to the nature of this job, it may or may not require Medical Monitoring
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Feb 8, 2024
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes