Assistant Professor, Tenure Track Digital Art and Design
Division: School of Architecture & Design
# of Openings: 1
Position Type: Faculty
Type: Regular Full-Time
New York Institute of Technology's six schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs in in-demand disciplines including computer science, data science, and cybersecurity; biology, health professions, and medicine; architecture and design; engineering; IT and digital technologies; management; and energy and sustainability. A nonprofit, independent, private, and nonsectarian institute of higher education founded in 1955, it welcomes nearly 8,000 students worldwide.
The university has campuses in New York City and Long Island, New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; and Vancouver, British Columbia, as well as programs around the world. More than 112,000 alumni are part of an engaged network of physicians, architects, scientists, engineers, business leaders, digital artists, and healthcare professionals. Together, the university's community of doers, makers, healers, and innovators empowers graduates to change the world, solve 21st-century challenges, and reinvent the future.
For more information, visit nyit.edu.
The School of Architecture and Design at the New York Institute of Technology invites outstanding candidates for the position of full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor in Digital Art and Design. This position will be based in our NYC campus with the need to serve on the Long Island campus and requires teaching in studios as well as courses, seminars, and electives at the graduate and undergraduate levels in the MFA and BFA programs.
The responsibilities for a successful academic path will include teaching, scholarship, and service.
Essential will be the engagement with the department and the school vision, contribution to curricular development, coursework sequences coordination, promoting industry partnerships and agreements, serving on school and university committees, participation in program revisions and updates, student mentoring and advising, retention and recruitment initiatives, and activities serving the community, the SoAD, and the Institution.
The Digital Art and Design department is actively seeking an individual with expertise in developing interactive digital applications across digital products, UX/UI design, game design, entertainment, and commercial sectors. The ideal candidate will collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, bringing technical and professional dimensions to the production process, and will impart crucial technical skills, enabling students to comprehensively create research-focused prototypes and final products. Emphasizing a research-driven environment, the DAD department encourages hands-on learning and project-based exploration supported by its currently expanding research labs.
A diverse skill set in design, scholarship, and creative activities is highly desirable, including interaction design, projection mapping, gesture and haptic design, game development, UX/UI design, and a high level of execution. The interested applicant should demonstrate expertise in emerging technologies, a commitment to teaching excellence, and a proven record of impactful contributions to the field. Preferred experience includes course instruction, hands-on training, mentorship, a scholarship agenda, innovative teaching methods, and active engagement in design thinking, digital technologies, and media innovation. The candidate is expected to contribute to scholarly publications, conferences, applied client projects, and creative practices.
- Bachelor's or a Master's degree in Design, Fine Arts or Applied Arts, or in a field pertaining to the course(s) for which she/he is hired plus a record of accomplishments.
- Have a well-rounded blend of scholarship, teaching, and professional expertise in design and technology, spanning visual communications, interactive design, industrial design, engineering design, immersive design, and experience design.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate design solutions to address societal issues and solve problems, with priority given to those who bring a bold perspective to expanding students' creativity through the utilization of advanced technology and innovative pedagogical methodologies.
- Previous teaching experience is preferred, either as an adjunct or in a full-time capacity in higher education. The evaluation process will consider both professional and academic experiences.
- Pursuit of professional projects as part of their scholarly achievements, contributing to the advancement of their expertise and the overall impact of the programs.
- Demonstrate a remarkable ability to collaborate with artists and designers, taking a lead role in the technical execution of projects. This involves considering both art and design needs while also imparting knowledge on how technology informs the design process, emphasizing the purposeful use of technology.
- Possess extensive knowledge of various digital art forms and stay abreast of technological trends, enabling them to critically observe and research the intricate relationship between art and design.
- Have a strong background in facilitating student research, engaging in externally funded research initiatives, and promoting project-based learning through collaborations with industry and community partners. A key aspect involves encouraging students to actively participate in conferences and exhibitions, fostering a comprehensive and immersive learning experience.
Applicants should submit the following in digital format (PDF):
- Curriculum Vitae (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Letter of Interest addressing the candidate's pedagogic approach, scholarship, and professional accomplishments
- Portfolio of teaching, professional, and/or research work (PDF, max 5 MB) (clearly stating contributions to team projects)
- Name and contact information of three references
The search committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The appointment will begin in the Fall 2024 semester.
New York Institute of Technology offers numerous opportunities to enhance personal and professional growth and provides employees with a competitive compensation and benefits program inclusive of generous paid time off, holidays, tuition remission, and retirement plans with employer contributions.
New York Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
In compliance with local legislation as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, the annual base salary range for this position is listed. New York Tech considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate experience/expertise, education/training, key skills, geographic location, internal peer equity as well as market, organizational considerations and/or applicable collective bargaining agreement when extending an offer.