Three-year Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish and Latin American
Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish
Feb 06, 2024
The World Language and Culture Studies department at Simpson College invites applications for a three-year Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish and Latin American Studies beginning August 2024. The Spanish program offers a major and two minors and is a key participant in the interdisciplinary Latin American Studies minor. Teaching load: 24 credit hours (typically 3 courses each semester) at all levels of the Spanish and Latin American Studies curriculum.
Simpson College is a private, nationally recognized regional college grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Simpson’s main campus is in Indianola, Iowa, part of the vibrant Des Moines metropolitan area, the fastest growing large metropolitan area in the Midwest. The Des Moines area’s population exceeds 600,000, and the area’s economic growth has outpaced that of the U.S. as a whole, while the cost of living remains well below the national average. To learn more about Simpson College please visit www.simpson.edu.
- Ph.D. in Hispanic Literatures and Cultures or a related field; ABD considered.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Ability to teach beginning - advanced Spanish language skills through the exploration of dynamic cultural, social, or political topics.
- Ability to develop and teach courses in the field of Latin American studies.
- Experience teaching Spanish in an inclusive way to a wide array of backgrounds and ability levels.
- Expertise in curriculum design.
- Experience teaching intercultural communication.
- Experience in developing community partnerships and/or service-learning opportunities.
- Willingness to contribute to the college’s recruitment efforts, diversity and inclusion initiatives, and general education program.
To apply, please submit 1) letter of application, 2) CV, 3) a one-two page teaching statement, 4) a one-two page diversity statement, and 5) three letters of recommendation.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment VISA at this time.
Review of applications will begin on March 6 and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Simpson College shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.