Assistant Professor of French as a Foreign Language
Woosong University is seeking applicants to fill the position of non-tenure track full-time Assistant Professor (조교수) of French as a Foreign Language, starting March 1st or April 1st, 2024, depending upon availability. Appointments are renewable based on performance and the university’s needs.
- A base salary of 27,600,000 to 38,200,000+ Korean Won (KRW) annually depending on degrees and professional experience.
- Faculty housing is provided, although it is limited. If Woosong University cannot provide housing, a stipend is provided on top of the base salary.
Who are we looking for?
Candidates who have:
- Two years of full-time university teaching experience in addition to a two-year master's degree, or three years of such experience in addition to a one-year master's degree, OR
- A doctoral degree, with teaching experience considered but not required.
- Native level speaker of French language and proficient speaker of English language at B2 level or above.
Teaching experience from your home country at the primary- or secondary- school level is also acceptable, as long as it required a government-issued teaching license.
Candidates who have degrees in education, French, teaching French, or linguistics will be given special consideration.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will
- Teach culinary arts students headed to France as part of their studies, such as on exchange or overseas internship. French classes for other departments, based on the needs of the university, may also be offered.
- Other duties may include running extra-curricular workshops, trainings, and writing center duties.
Assistant Professors of French as a Foreign Language teach up to 15 hours per week and are required to hold office hours each week.
There are administrative opportunities as well, such as:
- Academic Affairs
- Human Resources
- Operations Management
- Student Services
- Translation and/or Proofreading
- International Affairs
If you are bilingual (Korean and French/English), and can translate and interpret, there may be special administrative opportunities for you.
What are the benefits?
In addition to the base salary, you will receive:
- Housing (upon availability) or a housing stipend
- Up to 500,000 KRW partial flight reimbursement bonus (economy class; for applicants coming to Korea from overseas)
- Settlement allowance of 40,000 KRW per day that you arrive before the contract start date, up to a maximum of 7 days (for applicants coming to Korea from overseas)
- Four weeks (20 working days) of paid vacation each year
- Basic health insurance through the Korean National Health Insurance Service (monthly contribution: approximately 6% of your salary)
- Membership in the private Korea Teachers’ Pension (monthly contribution: approximately 9% of your salary)
- Opportunities for financial compensation for publishing in recognized peer-reviewed journals
For those interested in pursuing academic qualifications whilst working, Woosong University’s SolBridge International School of Business and Endicott College of International Studies both offer numerous graduate degree programs taught solely in English. You can learn more at the following websites:
SolBridge International School of Business: www.solbridge.ac.kr
Endicott College of International Studies:www.endicott.ac.kr
How do I apply?
For the initial screening, please email the following documents to email@example.com:
- CV and Cover Letter
- Scans of your highest degree diploma and transcript
- Scan of the information and signature pages of your passport, ensuring your passport is signed
- If you possess a Korean Residence Card (ARC), a scan of the front and back of it.
For candidates who move beyond the initial screening, we will also require the following documents at a later stage:
- Scans of all degree diplomas and transcripts, and the original copy of your highest degree earned
- Scans of verification of employment documents (in Korean these documents are called 재직증명서 for a current job or 경력증명서 for a previous job)
- Passport-sized photograph taken against a white background
- Apostilled and legalized criminal background check.