Accounting Analyst, Business Services
Staff Vacancy Announcement
Business Services invites applications for an Accounting Analyst to oversee accounting work for major fund groups used by the University. In this position you will provide accounting-related advice and assistance to departmental, school and college fiscal staff. You will also provide assistance when establishing departmental processes to ensure University and State policies and procedures are followed.
- Reconcile, analyze, and summarize data and draw conclusions for superiors to assure compliance with University and State accounting policies and procedures for various transactions, and to help ensure integrity of recorded financial data
- Coordinate predetermined sequential activities to complete portions of various internal/external financial reports and assists in preparation of work papers for several financial statement audits
- Responsible for the accurate and efficient flow of all UM multi-campus “Backdoor” and SABHRS wire transactions within Banner and SABHRS software modules
- Responsible for SABHRS-to-Banner transactions edit resolution
- Will assist the Systems team for financial (both student and non-student related) ad hoc report development and analysis
- Knowledge and experience in professional principles and practices of accounting and departmental procedures
- Ability to develop and implement accounting procedures; analyze and interpret accounting information; identify and solve accounting problems; compile, interpret, review and communicate financial transactions to a variety of individuals
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple and complex tasks with the highest degree of accuracy
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with frequent interruptions
- High degree of proficiency in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, Access and Outlook
- Understanding of relational databases and how they work, this includes the ability to create ad hoc queries/reports from the underlying tables and data structures
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field and at least two (2) years related professional experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of Banner Finance and SABHRS accounting systems
About Business Services and UM
Business Operations & Finance is the financial hub for campus. It is comprised of the following service areas: Accounting, Student Accounts, Accounts Payable, Procurement, Systems Administration and Treasury. Every day we serve our students and employees by focusing on UM’s 3rd Priority for Action which states, "Embody the Principle of Mission First, People Always."
The University of Montana is a flagship, R1 research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: Accounting Analyst
Position Number: 003100
Department: Business Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week),
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with university regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
This position will remain OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) Professional References – names and contact information