Facilities Maintenance Operations (FMO) offers building &landscape maintenance, and custodial services to Harvard faculties and departments on a fee-for-service basis. All services are provided in strict accordance with customer-determined standards. As such, FMO operates as an in-house alternative to contractor services and therefore must manage itself under the same principles that guide any successful maintenance service business.Position Description
Performs routine and specialized cleaning of academic and non-academic spaces, including but not limited to: offices, dormitories, laboratories, libraries, athletic facilities, classroom and assembly spaces, restrooms, common areas and entryways, as assigned. Maintains all assigned areas in a clean, orderly, and sanitary manner. Sanitizes bathroom surfaces, fixtures, and food handling/preparation areas. Restocks restroom and kitchen area consumable supplies daily. Broom sweeps, dry/damp/wet mops hard surface floors and stairs as assigned. Dusts and/or washes furniture, walls, and horizontal surfaces. Vacuums carpeted floor surfaces using light and/or heavy-duty vacuums. Empties and cleans trash and recycling receptacles and moves trash and recyclables to designated pick-up points. Strips, waxes and burnishes floors using power floor machines. Operates heavy-duty wet pick-up machines to remove liquids from floor surfaces. Washes interior windows and first floor exterior windows. May be assigned to perform residential housekeeping during Reunion/Commencement events. Performs related duties as required. May be required to move furniture or other heavy objects for extended periods of time. Performs snow removal assignments including shoveling, sweeping and applying ice melt or sand. May be required to operate equipment, including heavy floor machines. May be required to use ladders on a regular basis. May be required to work occasional overtime in support of business needs.Basic Qualifications
- A minimum of 1 year cleaning industry experience required
- Basic proficiency in the English language including reading, writing, and speaking
- Provide responsive customer support in all phases of custodial and related building operations.
- Must be quality focused, customer service oriented and able to routinely communicate clearly in the English language with co-workers and customers in a professional environment.
- Must observe and comply with all standard safety codes and practices and perform work in accordance with recognized industry and university standards.
- May be assigned to work independently or as part of a team under the guidance and direction of the Area Supervisor and/or Crew Chief. Must be available to respond to off-hour emergencies as needed.
- May be required to work occasional overtime in support of busines needs.
- Required to wear a clean, neat uniform and maintain a professional image at all times.
- Must display and wear an ID badge at all times
Ability to perform repetitive tasks as listed in the Duties and Responsibilities. Such tasks require repetitive stooping, bending, reaching and carrying, especially to vacuum, sweep and mop stairwells, perform high and low dusting or cleaning, etc. Must be able to tolerate dust and other airborne particles as well as approved cleaning chemicals. Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 lb. routinely, on a daily basis. May be required to lift and carry five gallon pails of cleaning liquids at various times (weighing up to 40lbs.)Working Conditions
Emergency Status Designation: Critical Operations PersonnelAdditional Information
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly
encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
This position is based primarily on-campus, in Massachusetts. This may include in-person during emergency situations (if applicable). Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. Certain visa types may limit work location. Individuals must meet work location sponsorship requirements prior to employment.
We invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website (https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards) to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
220001 Custodian A
01 - Serv Emp Int Loc 615-Custodial
Hourly Rate and/or Rate Range
Criminal, Drug Testing, Employment, Identity
Sunday-Tuesday, Friday-Saturday 8:00am-4:30pm
Days off: Wednesday & Thursday
Location: Undergraduate Houses
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.