Postdoctoral Fellow with the Digital Value Lab - Digital, Data, and Design Institute, Harvard University
School: Harvard Business School
Position DescriptionThe Digital Value Lab at the Digital, Data, and Design (D^3) Institute at Harvard is accepting applications for postdoctoral fellows for academic year 2024-2025. D^3 labs conduct research at the intersection of academia and practice.
The Digital Value Lab, led by Professor Suraj Srinivasan, is seeking an accounting, finance, or management Postdoctoral Fellow. The mission of the Digital Value Lab is to conduct research on performance and value creation outcomes from AI, digital, and big-data driven transformation in organizations. An ideal candidate will be interested in research on digital transformation and AI in organizations. The Postdoctoral Fellows at D^3 work under the direct supervision of faculty Principal Investigators and engage closely with the lab manager and research associate(s) at each lab. There are no teaching requirements for these open positions.
A typical empirical project involves refining a research question, designing an experiment or survey, analyzing historical and experimental data, and writing targeted at peer reviewed accounting, finance, economics, and social science journals. Candidates should have some familiarity with:
- Causal analysis and experimental design;
- Programming/scripting knowledge suitable for processing raw data for analysis (e.g., text manipulation); modern methods in machine learning, AI, including use of LLMs.
- One or more computational environments for statistical analysis (e.g., Stata, R, or Python);
- Writing papers for scholarly journals;
- Working with partner organizations or companies.
Basic QualificationsBasic Qualifications
- A Ph.D. in accounting, finance, or other management disciplines.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you have obtained your Ph.D. in the past 12 months you must be able to provide a certificate of completion from the degree-granting institution OR a letter from the institute's registrar stating all requirements for the degree have been successfully completed and should verify the date the degree has been conferred. No exceptions
- Strong team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional QualificationsAdditional Qualifications
Proven ability to work independently and creatively. This position requires an individual capable of consistent use of discretion, judgment, and initiative. The candidate must have extremely high standards in terms of quality of work, attention to detail, strong organization skills, and absolute commitment to task completion. Ability to balance multiple tasks and shifting priorities under tight deadlines at an accelerated pace when necessary.
Diplomatic skills, comfort in interacting with prominent individuals, and grace under pressure are essential. It is helpful if the candidate is familiar with navigating a complex organization, such as Harvard Business School.
Special InstructionsApplications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please apply via the Harvard system here:https://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/12990
All applications should include the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of academic records (official records are acceptable)
- 2-page research statement describing prior research experience and future research plans
- Two representative publications (preprints are acceptable)
- Two letters of recommendation.
This is a term appointment starting summer 2024 through June 30, 2025, with possibility of renewal based on funding and performance. Relocation funding is not provided.
This role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where you are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your supervisors.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS is profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and life experiences. Explore HBS work culture at https://www.hbs.edu/employment/.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Contact InformationAlicia Fulmine, Recruiting Manager, Research Staff Services
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field Road
Boston, MA 02163
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity EmployerWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
Minimum Number of References Required: 2
Maximum Number of References Allowed: 4