Department Chair, Mathematics, Science and Technology, College of Arts & Sciences
The College of Arts & Sciences (COAS) at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Worldwide Campus (ERAU-W) seeks a dynamic, nationally recognized academic leader who will serve as Chair for the Department of Mathematics, Science and Technology (MST). This is an on-site position at Embry-Riddle Worldwide Headquarters in Daytona Beach, FL. This position will include a tenured faculty appointment at the associate professor or professor rank. As a member of the dean's leadership team and a tenured faculty member in the college, the successful candidate will teach one course per year and be expected to maintain an exemplary level of research and scholarly activity.
A Ph.D. degree in physical or mathematical science is required; expertise in chemistry, physics, or data science is preferred.
The successful candidate will be expected to champion the expansion, improvement, and advancement of a wide range of academic fields within the department, especially in physical science and technology. This includes reviewing courses and instructors to encourage exceptional teaching practices as well as coordinating the development of exciting new degree programs. Moreover, the successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in leadership, project management, development of personnel, strategic planning, and budget management.
The position also requires an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents as a member of the department, college, and university. Additionally, candidates should have experience with a broad range of innovative methods of instruction and assessment. Although this position is based at Worldwide Headquarters in Daytona Beach, FL, department faculty are located around the world and work remotely. As such, candidates will be highly adept at digital communication and proficient at motivating and leading virtual teams.
Reporting to the dean, the MST department chair's responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Represent departmental needs and issues on the dean's leadership team and implement college priorities in the department
- Provide comprehensive leadership to and represent the department under the supervision of the dean
- Guide the development of the department according to the college's Strategic Guidance that connects to the university's Strategic Plan
- Manage faculty workload and travel budgets
- Offer mentorship, guidance, and recommendations in the faculty promotion and tenure process
- Serve as the intermediary between department faculty and college administration
- Evaluate teaching and performance for full-time faculty and over 150 adjunct faculty
- Hire adjunct faculty
- Work with administrative specialists on course scheduling
- Ensure the quality of curriculum and courses
- Support the development and growth of programs
About the College of Arts & Sciences:
Based on its Strategic Guidance, the College of Arts & Sciences at ERAU-W develops and supports career-ready graduates and advances all students to be lifelong learners and leaders in their professional disciplines. The college's vision is to be a destination for multidisciplinary studies and impactful collaborative research as well as continue to be a national leader in general education, developing opportunities for our diverse student population to fulfill their educational goals and become responsive, responsible global citizens.
The college comprises four departments: Behavioral and Social Sciences; Humanities and Communication; Mathematics, Science and Technology; and Security and Emergency Services. The college delivers courses online as well as on several sites across the United States and around the world. Currently, four graduate and five undergraduate programs are offered, as well as several undergraduate minors.
MST currently offers a B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies as well as undergraduate minors in Applied Data Science, Environmental Science, Mathematics, and Military Studies.
The college also delivers the general education program to all Worldwide Campus students, providing over 2,000 sections annually, with a focus on developing students' capacity in critical thinking, quantitative reasoning, information literacy, communication, scientific literacy, cultural literacy, technological literacy, and collaboration. The Worldwide Campus has an enrollment of more than 23,000 students, delivering courses globally online via Canvas, synchronously via EagleVision to both homes and classrooms, face-to-face at over 130 locations, and in a blended format.
Embry-Riddle's Worldwide Campus has earned a top five ranking during the past nine years for Best Online Bachelor's programs from U.S. News & World Report.
About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University:
Join our global community and embark on a journey of academic excellence and limitless possibilities. Employees working more than 30 hours a week can enjoy medical, dental and vision benefits, an amazing retirement plan with immediate vesting that includes a 6% gift and up to 4% match and free tuition for employees and their immediate family members. To find out more about our benefits and why ERAU has been named a "Great College to Work For" for 13 consecutive years, visit our careers page.
- A Ph.D. degree in physical or mathematical science is required; expertise in chemistry, physics, or data science is preferred.
- Ability to to champion the expansion, improvement, and advancement of a wide range of academic fields within the department, especially in physical science and technology.
- Ability to review courses and instructors to encourage exceptional teaching practices as well as coordinating the development of exciting new degree programs.
- Must have demonstrated skills in leadership, project management, development of personnel, strategic planning, and budget management.
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents as a member of the department, college, and university.
- Must have experience with a broad range of innovative methods of instruction and assessment.
- Must be highly adept at digital communication and proficient at motivating and leading virtual teams.
Review of applications will begin on March 15, 2024, and will continue until the position is filled; the expected start date will be no later than August 1, 2024. Applications should include a current CV and a detailed letter discussing experience, academic qualifications, and background that demonstrate a fit with the college and the position. Selected candidates will be required to secure three professional references as part of the review process.
Questions can be directed via email to Dr. David Higgins, Search Committee Chair, at HIGGINSD@erau.edu.