Senior Learning Designer - Gies College of Business
Senior Learning Designer - Gies College of Business
Teaching and Learning
Job Summary The Senior Learning Designer is a member of a team that partners with Gies faculty to design in-person, online, and hybrid delivery of high-quality learning experiences. The Senior Learning Designer is an expert in learning and cognitive science, as well as assessment and learning experience. Manage a team that assists with a portfolio of courses in various stages of development and offerings, including new and in-development courses, and active or inactive courses. Responsible for directing and facilitating ideation and exploration of effective learning activities and assessments, creating a course development plan that aligns with College quality expectations and standards for online courses, Instructional team expertise and teaching preferences, guiding the design of effective learning objectives in alignment with program goals and assurance of learning efforts, and ensuring that all activities associated with new and redesigned content production and active course offerings in the portfolio provide a "best in class" experience for instructors, staff, and students.
Duties & Responsibilities
Course design and development
- Envision and coordinate the design, development, writing, editing, and evaluation of learning objectives ,assessment plans, rubrics, course materials and learning activities in collaboration with faculty and subject matter experts
- Facilitate learner analyses to determine appropriate assessment and course activities in collaboration with faculty and subject matter experts
- Provide pedagogical guidance in alignment with instructional design theories, as well as practical guidance on teaching and learning innovations
- Facilitate conversations with faculty and subject matter experts to recommend appropriate technologies to support learner outcomes
- Design the plans for the staff to build courses in the appropriate LMSs using technologies as needed
Supervision and coordination
- Supervise, mentor, train, and performance manage full-time learning design team members, student and hourly employees, and/or contract employees
- Manage and coordinate the team collaboration with other learning designers, accessibility specialists, digital media professionals, course support staff, and student employees to conduct tasks associated with course design, development, and delivery
- Plan and allocate work to direct reports with an aim to meet deadlines and maintain quality and accessibility standards
- Apply best practices to coordinate documentation and development of workflows
- Identify needs and solutions, implement plans, track progress, and report status on professional development for direct reports
- Collect data and build reports on development workflows and production, according to priorities, established KPIs, and metrics set by leadership
Teaching and learning support
- Collaborate with faculty to design great learning experiences and effectively use multimedia, instructional methods, technology, and software; advocate for and influence faculty adoption of the same to support learner outcomes
- Establish the design, development, and delivery of workshops and training to faculty and staff in the use of instructional technologies and educational best practices according to best practices for curricular design, established learning objectives and outcomes, and pedagogical needs
- Research and use data to make recommendations on educational best practices, instructional resources, and instructional technologies
- Plan, conduct, and document observations, reviews of student feedback, and consultations for individual faculty and TAs
- Collaborate in the management of documentation and resolution of support requests from students, faculty, and staff as needed during course design and delivery
Project management and facilitation
- Apply project management skills and best practices to oversee and complete projects on a schedule that follows established quality standards
- Plan and follow course development timelines and effectively communicate expectations to faculty and direct reports
- Facilitate course development sessions, document findings, and write reports
- Participate in professional development
- Other duties as assigned
- Master's degree from an accredited institution in instructional design, curriculum and instruction, educational technology, instructional systems, education, or a closely related field.
- At least one year of work experience supervising an eLearning or Instructional Design team by the time of hire AND at least seven years of work experience in the field of instructional design at the time of hire.
- PhD from an accredited institution in instructional design, curriculum and instruction, educational technology, instructional systems, education, or a closely related field
- Evidence of professional growth and/or contributions within the field of instructional design, technology-aided learning, learning science (i.e., education, neuroscience, educational psychology, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience researching, assessing, piloting, and deploying accessible, effective educational technology tools.
- Demonstrated experience researching, assessing, piloting, and deploying pedagogical practices, assessment methods, and learning designs in residential, hybrid, and/or online learning environments.
- Demonstrated experience designing and deploying learning experiences and assessments for large enrollment courses (e.g. 1000+ enrollments) with an emphasis on learner engagement, inclusivity, and accessibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
A successful candidate will have:
- knowledge of pedagogy and learning science
- knowledge of assessment and learning activity design
- organizational skills - ability to manage a team
- ability to manage large, complex projects
- ability to apply standards and follow documented procedures
- ability to communicate and build relationships
- knowledge of higher education
- skills in designing for large enrollment online courses
This is a 100% full-time Academic Professional position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after 2/23/2024. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience, while also considering internal equity. The salary range for this position starts at $76,000.
The work location for this position may be flexible. Highly qualified candidates may be eligible to work full-time remotely within the US, on-premise at our offices in Champaign, Illinois, or a combination.
For additional information about working at Gies College of Business, please visit: https://inside.giesbusiness.illinois.edu/work-at-gies
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on February 23, 2024. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
For full consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume with your application.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.
Requisition ID: 1022549
Job Category: Education & Student Services
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu