The Career Advisor reports to the Associate Director and serves as a member of a Career Development and College Relations Team. Team members will work together to serve undergraduate and graduate students, and recent alumni. Additionally, team members will work with employers to understand the breadth and depth of experiential and post-graduation opportunities available for students interested in pursuing careers within the scope of the team.
- Provide one-on-one advising (in person and virtually) to students and recent alumni on topics such as selecting an academic major; choosing a career direction; developing a job search plan; interviewing (including conducting mock interviews); career-related experience (internships/co-op); writing effective resumes and cover letters; and researching companies and graduate schools.
- Develop and deliver presentations, workshops, and programs on topics listed above.
- Create and curate content for office social media outlets.
- Lead and/or serve on task groups and assist with other initiatives as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Development, Psychology, Sociology or related fields or a field related to the stated college liaison role
- Advising/coaching/teaching experience
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Experience as an engaged team member working collaboratively toward successful outcomes.
- Demonstrated commitment to appreciating and valuing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to foster relationships among a diverse range of constituents including; students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and employers
- Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, Student Affairs, Counseling, or related field.
- Experience providing career advising/coaching within a college/university setting.
- Familiarity with relevant career development theories such as: Holland, Happenstance, and Chaos Theory of Careers.
- Knowledge of personality theory.
- Experience with Clifton Strengths.
- Experience with a variety of vendor products for the career services field such as Handshake, TypeFocus, and CareerShift.
44,000 - 47,000
February 19, 2024
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (insert name) at (insert email address) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.