Senior Business Systems Analyst
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to delivering service and technological solutions in support of teaching, learning, research and administration. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines - and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused, and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment, we are looking for you!
Reporting to an Associate Director on the Research Administration and Compliance Systems team, the Senior Business Systems Analyst (SBSA) supports the service delivery of University-wide systems, solutions, and services with a focus on the research administration, research compliance, and research management. This role is focused on the Huron research compliance suite and will work with a team to design, develop, test, and implement enhancements and upgrades to modules and provide ongoing support.
The SBSA works closely with the user community, fellow team members, technical partners, and vendors to design, test, implement, and validate solutions to support ongoing and emerging needs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate communication with end-users, convert complex business requirements into technical specifications, participate in the software development lifecycle, and ensure seamless solution delivery aligned with the organization's strategic objectives.
- Evaluate and integrate new technologies, frameworks, and methodologies to keep Harvard's systems current and competitive.
- Draft systems specifications and designs detailing the logic, configuration, and security requirements to be implemented, perform corresponding configuration steps.
- Meet with business partners to understand and document systems needs, identify workflows, and propose solutions.
- Identify change management requirements, assist in the development of training materials, end user communications, and marketing materials.
- Design, develop, and test Harvard-specific software customizations and reports, and develop, and test Harvard-specific software customizations and reports.
- Conduct gap analysis and testing of Huron-delivered application changes and incorporate into suite upgrades.
- Develop application enhancements and test plans and test system functionality to ensure new products, enhancements, bug fixes, and patches have corrected identified problems without introducing regression issues. Log, track, and follow bugs through development life cycle. Manual and automated testing. Additionally, presentations and present at user group and stakeholder meetings. Assist in planning and conducting user group meetings.
- Coordinate User Acceptance Testing (UAT) including developing test plans, coordinating user participation, and follow up on bugs or issued raised during UAT.
- Lead and participate in daily operational support of applications, including help desk inquiry response, guidance material updates and user consultation/assistance.
- Serve as resource to senior management, product managers, and business systems analysts on areas of product and/or business expertise.
- Collaborate with business systems analysts, product managers, and vendor partners for production and reporting support for enterprise applications, including in-depth analysis, troubleshooting, researching and recommending resolution options to ensure systems remain operational and data integrity is upheld within applications.
- Minimum of five years' post-secondary education or relevant work experience
The following Additional Qualifications are required:
- 3+ years of experience using Huron Research Suite, including research administration and research compliance business areas (example: conflict of interest, IRB/human subjects, etc.).
- 3+ years of experience in business analysis and/or software development
- Strong problem solving, organizational, analytical, data analysis, interpersonal, and facilitation skills, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to synthesize business issues into technical solutions.
- Excellent relationship building skills, especially customer service skills and service mindset approach.
- Must understand basic fundamentals of iterative development, software development processes and procedures; understand incremental delivery and the value of metrics.
- Experience developing and executing tests including regression tests.
- Advanced desktop application skills including Excel, Word, MS Project, Access, PowerPoint, and Visio. Hands-on experience with ERP, research administration systems, or student information systems preferred. Proven ability to quickly assimilate to new technology and/or applications required.
- Familiarity with proprietary tools (similar to Huron Research Suite) and Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence) are a plus, and SQL and/or other data analysis tools and HTML and CSS are preferred
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Work is performed in an office setting.
Please provide a cover letter with your application.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- We are unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Harvard University welcomes individuals with disabilities to apply for positions and participate in its programs and activities. If you would like to request an accommodation or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact our University Disability Resources Department.
HUIT actively supports hybrid work where business needs allow. This position has been designated as a primarily remote position. While this position is primarily remote, travel to campus may be necessary based on business needs and the nature of work. Examples include bi-annual or quarterly Town Halls, critical business meetings or other work events. Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed within one of the Harvard Registered Payroll States, which currently includes Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Virginia, Washington, and California (CA for exempt positions only). Certain visa types and funding sources may limit work location. Individuals must meet work location sponsorship requirements prior to employment.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University. Our mission is to assure Harvard's leadership in IT. We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn and work through the effective use of information technology. HUIT's core values are User Focused, Collaborative, Innovative and Open.
HUIT's core values are:
IT Academy (designed for IT Staff):
HUIT's IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
We invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website (https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards) to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
I0858P IT Business Analysis Prfss IV
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Administrative Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be called during off hours
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
LinkedIn Recruiter Tag (for internal use only)