Senior HR Generalist
Reporting to the Senior HR Manager, the Senior HR Generalist serves as a professional level Human Resources (HR) team member for the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC. The Senior HR Generalist will provide superior customer service and consultation to FBRI research faculty, staff, administration and stakeholders. The Senior HR Generalist will be responsible for managing GRA contracts and subsequent reconciling and reporting. They will coordinate, coach, and execute HR activities in the functional areas of recruitment and selection for AP Faculty and Research Faculty. They will consult on classification, compensation, HR policy and governance and university processes and procedures. In partnership with Senior HR Manager, the Senior HR Generalist will assist with triaging, mitigating, and resolving employee relations issues. Additionally, this position will be responsible for maintaining highly customized data analytics to support strategic decision-making and diversity and inclusion initiatives and to provide metrics for annual reporting. The Senior HR Generalist will leverage critical thinking and influencing skills to resolve complex and challenging situations. The candidate will leverage extensive recruiting experience to develop and execute a staffing strategy and sourcing methods to identify diverse applicant pools and manage postings from start to finish. The Senior HR Generalist is expected to complete all duties with a keen attention to detail to ensure accuracy and compliance on all HR related functions. Additionally, in partnership with the University Global Strategic Services (GSS) office, the Senior HR Generalist will manage the visa process for non-student hiring initiatives in compliance with policy requirements and regulations. Also, the incumbent will contribute to our positive and inclusive work community by building trusting partnerships across Virginia Tech and the research institute, and support the implementation of diversity related initiatives.
- Master's degree in Human Resources or other business related field, or Bachelor's degree with significant related experience.
- Previous experience providing HR support in an HR Generalist or HR business partner role.
- Experience working in a high volume, fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of HR principles and practices including recruitment and selection, onboarding, employee relations, orientation and training, job analysis and critical evaluation, classification and compensation, performance management, and HR Law and compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple, complex projects and day-to-day operations independently and proactively while meeting established deadlines.
- Consulting experience in business and/or HR operations.
- Experience providing excellent customer service.
- Experience working with highly sensitive data and information while exercise superior levels of discretion and confidentiality.
- Professional HR certification such as SHRM-CP.
- HR experience in higher education or research environment.
- Previous experience working with an HR enterprise system or similar applicant tracking system.
- Experience working with employment-based visa petitions and applications.
Commensurate with experience
March 1st, 2024
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.