Asst. Football Coach / Defensive Coordinator
Delaware Valley University is accepting candidates for Assistant Football Coach / Defensive Coordinator.About the University:
Founded in 1896, DelVal is an academically rigorous interdisciplinary university dedicated to the sciences and liberal arts. Today, its more than 1,000 acres of land is a testament to the University's mission to provide a functional, hands-on learning environment for students, serving as an outdoor classroom for several fields of study. DelVal offers students a wide array of undergraduate, graduate and continuing education degree programs and is one of the few higher education institutions that requires an experiential learning component that is award-winning. DelVal has received numerous accolades including being named to Princeton Review's 2022 "Best in the Northeast" and U.S. News & World Report's 2022 "Best Regional Universities-North" lists. Nestled in Bucks County, PA, known for its picturesque landscapes, DelVal is only 30 miles north of Philadelphia, and is easily accessible by regional rail located on campus.
Full time position designed to lead and Coordinate the defense in conjunction with the Head Coach. Will organize and manage all aspects related to the defense including but not limited to: practice planning and game preparation; scouting; recruitment of student-athletes; player development and support; academic monitoring; campus and community engagement efforts; fundraising and alumni development.
All coaches are expected to advance the mission of the department of athletics to provide an environment that supports the academic and personal achievement of student-athletes. Coaches at Delaware Valley serve as educators and mentors who promote athletic achievement, personal growth and development of skills for life through the experiential learning of sport.
Coaches are expected to work cooperatively within the athletic department, the student affairs division, and across the entire Delaware Valley community to realize goals in support of student success and university goals and mission.
- Prepare, organize and conduct and direct an appropriate schedule of defensive practice and competition activities that complies with all appropriate policies, goals and objectives
- Develop sound and practical defensive game plans with the defensive staff within the vision of the head football coach
- Manage game day play calling for the Defense
- Ensure and communicate expectations for student-athletes' academic, conduct and other performance and engagement issues, collaborating appropriately with university personnel
- Collaborate with athletic training personnel regarding medical clearances, injury prevention, rehabilitation and playing status of student-athletes
- Promote and manage the development and coordination of university and community engagement and service activities that promote positive interaction between student-athletes and non-student athletes and community members
- Serve as needed on department, division and university committees
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Head Football Coach
The above job responsibilities are intended only to describe the general nature of the job and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of position responsibilities.
Working Conditions and Frequently Used Tools:
- Non-traditional hours
- Travel and driving for competition and recruiting
- Additional obligations assisting with university events (including but not limited to: admission and recruitment events; student welcome and orientation; alumni/advancement)
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to philosophy of Division III athletics program
- Evidence of commitment to academic and personal development of student-athletes
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with recruitment of qualified students
- Strong managerial, administrative, organizational, and computer skills
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated collegiality with colleagues within and beyond athletics
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules, regulations and related compliance issues. Must pass annual NCAA rules test
- Demonstration of leadership, sportsmanship and conduct becoming the coaching profession
Required Education, Experience, and License:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Prior successful experience coaching
- CPR-First Aid/AED Certification
- Valid driver's license required
Delaware Valley University reserves the right to revise, change or modify job responsibilities and position qualifications as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Delaware Valley University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce.