Assistant Registrar for Student Records
Proudly standing as the nation’s oldest HBCU, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania has been a stalwart and highly respected institution of higher education since our founding in 1837. For over 185 years our alumni have emerged as leaders and left their mark on the social, economic, and political history of Philadelphia, the surrounding region, the nation, and the world. Building on this legacy, the vision for Cheyney University is to become the premier model for academic excellence, character development, and social responsibility.
Here at Cheyney, we value scholarship, diversity, integrity, respect, and service. We are committed to maintaining a vibrant educational community that is dedicated to promoting scholarship and lifelong learning for its students, offering wide student access to resources to ensure an opportunity for all to acquire an education, encouraging freedom of thought and freedom from discrimination by ensuring a respectful environment, and provide outreach and service to external and constituent communities, demonstrating their understanding of the importance and value of service.
We’re looking for exceptional individuals who share our values, embrace our mission, recognize our potential, and covet the opportunity to continue to move our historic University forward. CU proudly offers a positive and purposeful work environment; comprehensive employee benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance along with many wellness programs; generous retirement plans; a commitment to work-life balance including generous paid vacation, paid sick time, military leave and paid time off for most major holidays; and a University mission to support employee personal and professional growth including a tuition waiver for self and family members, training and development, and advancement opportunities.
Under the leadership of the Registrar, the Assistant Registrar for Student Records (SUA2) is responsible for the daily operations of the Registrar’s office, as it applies to student records. This position will review and evaluate transfer credits for current students and process data into PowerCampus, Banner Student, and Degree Works. This position will assist with course registrations, class withdrawals, no-show processes, and records maintenance, as relates to the office and how it impacts the University. In addition, the incumbent will help the office of the Registrar achieve continuous improvement in effectiveness, efficiency, and the quality of the customer experience through all phases of undergraduate and graduate enrollment management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the day-to-day activities including fielding telephone and email inquiries and requests, data entry, file creation and records maintenance, document intake, and generation of letters, emails, and other correspondence and communications with inquiring, prospective, and matriculated students.
- Works closely with divisional staff, work teams, and individuals to continually assess enrollment management business practices and systems against strategic, operational, and tactical enrollment goals, recommend means to improve efficiency and/or outcomes, and support implementation.
- Assist with collecting, recording, maintaining, and reporting of student records within FERPA and National Student Clearinghouse guidelines, e.g., grades, enrollment verification, registration data, transcripts, mid-term verification, GPA calculation, student academic progress (SAP) and other associated audits.
- Identifies and assists in the implementation of new business processes within the division area that supports the team’s ability to perform tasks and activities more effectively to meet recruitment and student success/retention goals.
- Works cooperatively across all areas of the Strategic Enrollment Management Division to produce innovative solutions, processes, or technologies to effectively solve problems by guiding and training staff on identifying more effective business practices so they can focus on more value-added activities.
- Processes degree verifications via the National Student Clearinghouse
- Maintains graduation applications in PowerCampus and Banner Student
- Processes registrations and assists with the creation of student schedules as requested.
- Processes updates to student records according to policies and procedures
- Oversees the evaluation of transfer credits from other institutions, with necessary assistance from academic departments, processes Host Institution forms throughout the academic year in a timely manner.
- Manages the inventory of office supplies and materials toward efficient implementation of all Registrar's office operations.
- Responsible for processing all student advising assignments.
- Responsible for overseeing student registration campaigns and the commencement booklet.
- Assists with commencement activities, New Student Orientation, move-in days, and Strategic Enrollment events.
- Demonstrates compliance with policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Demonstrates current knowledge of FERPA.
- Serves on committees as needed.
- Collaborates with Academic Advising, the Office of Admissions, academic departments, and other offices across the campus community, as necessary.
Minimum Qualifications: Selection Criteria: Minimum Education, Training, and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Solid interpersonal and public speaking skills
- At least intermediate level for using the MS Office Suite
- Experience navigating Student Information Systems such as PowerCampus, Banner Student, and Degree Works
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as a team member.
Instructions for Applying
Applicants must complete an online application. A complete online application will include the following attachments.
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Employment for this position is covered by collective bargaining ( SCUPA Union). Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. All offers of employment are subject and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.