(Remote) Senior Business Analyst - Information Technology Services
Information Technology Services at West Virginia University is currently accepting applications for a (Remote) Senior Business Analyst.
About the Opportunity:
This position will serve as a Senior Business Analyst on the Campus Application Administration team.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year (for when you're ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family's, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ's.
- Wellness programs
What You'll Do:
- Establish value-adding, strategic business-partner relationships for yourself and the entire IT organization. Partner with business units to plan new joint initiatives, evaluate proposals, and determine how they fit into roadmaps and priorities. Measure and communicate value realized on a periodic basis through defined and agreed upon metrics and supporting analysis.
- Drive continuous improvement by collaborating with various teams to improve quality, increase productivity, and support business goals by leveraging systems that will simplify and improve processes. This may include driving more effective utilization of existing tools. Create and deploy feedback mechanisms for end users. Analyze results, make recommendations to support process improvement and implement changes. Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent repeated future problems.
- Identify and establish the scope and parameters of requirements analysis on a project-by-project basis to define project impact, outcome criteria, and metrics.
- Manage and track the status of requirements throughout the project life cycle and enforce or redefine as necessary. Validate business and technical requirements are met during the project delivery process.
- Bridge the communication gap between technical and non-technical staff to ensure clear understanding of project objectives, deliverables, and expected results. Assist other analysts, developers, and designers in conceptualizing and developing new software programs and applications.
- Develop and maintain best practices and standards for business system analyst work products and related service development life cycle (SDLC) artifacts.
- Design test plans for ad-hoc, functional, and regression testing. Oversee testing to ensure accuracy and thoroughness.
- For new systems and patches, manage the transition from development to production. Activities include coordinating deployment of required configurations, identifying and rectifying technical issues, answering questions, and planning application maintenance.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or a business discipline or an equivalent combination of education/experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of combined experience in the following:
- Demonstrated experience in business systems analysis & design.
- Experience communicating and presenting to business leaders and executives.
- Proven experience managing change with in-depth knowledge of change management principles and methodologies.
- Proven experience with troubleshooting principles, methodologies, and issue resolution techniques.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. Experience with Access and Project is helpful.
- Demonstrated experience with continuous improvement methodologies.
- Experience in service development life cycle documentation, testing, and release cycle protocols including business requirements documentation, test scenarios/data/execution, and service transition. Experience with Scrum and agile development methodologies is a plus.
- Proven experience with business and technical requirements analysis, elicitation, modeling, verification, and methodology development.
- Experience in gap analysis and understanding of the current state (As-Is) and future state (To-Be) business processes.
- Project management experience, including charter, business case development, project management plan and schedule, stakeholder management, communication planning, risk/issue management, status reporting, and running team calls.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong relationships with business partners. Highly collaborative work style capable of working effectively across all organizational levels
- Must be a leader who can influence stakeholders, break down silos, and overcome resistance to change within and across organizations. Ability to lead change using positive and collaborative methods and generate excitement and engagement.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of current trends and emerging technologies, particularly those related to software applications.
- Knowledge of application and system integration methods, such as web services, APIs, and integration platforms.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical concepts in business- and user-friendly language.
- In-depth knowledge with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams. Demonstrated ability to lead by example, coach, develop, and motivate others.
- Ability to simplify and standardize complex concepts and processes. Proven ability to design, develop, and maintain best practices and standards for documentation and processes, particularly for requirements gathering, design workshops, development specifications, test plans, etc.
- Proven, in-depth knowledge in service development life cycle documentation, testing, and release cycle protocols including business requirements documentation, test scenarios/data/execution, and service transition.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Certification or training in a process methodology, such as Lean Six Sigma, is a plus.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley - the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU's academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Feb 13, 2024
Posting Classification: Non-Classified
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes