Electrician Foreman, Facilities Services
Application instructions are located at the bottom of the page. Please apply directly through the University of Montana's career portal UM Jobs at https://umjobs.silkroad.com/ for positions at the University of Montana – Missoula, University of Montana Western (Dillon), and Helena College.
*Do not apply through Indeed.com or use easy apply through Indeed.com*.
Staff Vacancy Announcement
Facilities Services invites applications for a Electrician Foreman to provide leadership and direction in the electrical shop. This position manages several contracts related to their trade. The foreman will work with Planning & Construction on all projects. The Electrician Foreman will have a good knowledge of the methods, materials, practices, equipment, machines, and techniques used in the electrical industry. The foreman will work from drawings, blueprints and sketches to assess material and equipment needs. The foreman will be expected to work independently and efficiently in difficult situations.
This position will coordinate, assign and supervise the performance of all day-to-day repairs and installations necessary from work orders for the electrical shop. This includes researching and ordering of materials. Qualified candidates must possess knowledge of supervisory skills, good customer services skills, and ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously. The Electrician Foreman will use the work order system, close out work orders, time cards and track payroll sheets for all electricians. Ensure the effective management of department financial resources. Provide proactive management of staff to ensure top quality recruitment, retention, training, improvement and performance management of staff. This position may be required to fill in for the Associate Director for Maintenance when necessary.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, work from drawings, blueprints and sketches
- Demonstrated leadership ability to direct skilled work teams engaged in project management, renovation, alteration, and operations of varying building/grounds structures and systems
- Knowledge, ability and skill to communicate clearly and effectively with Foreman, Supervisors, and other crafts people, work order desk, the campus community and public
- Knowledge and experience of commercial electrical construction
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example, modeling a caring, collaborative and open culture and environment which values the individual, teams and teamwork, ethical conduct, exemplary customer service and quality results
- Ability to build good working relationships with Vendors & Outside Contractors
- Applicants must possess good computer skills with Microsoft Office products
- Must possess good working knowledge of high voltage systems and ability to test and repair.
- Must possess working knowledge of variable frequency drives with the ability to test repair and program VFD’s
- Must be proficient at repairing motors and motor control circuits
- Knowledge and experience using a variety of test equipment
- Knowledge and ability to install conduit wire mold and wire, size circuits, bend conduit up to and pull wire
- Ability and knowledge to adapt industry standards and equipment to provide services for special needs projects
- Knowledge of safety rules and procedures related to the trade and abide by all OSHA safety regulations
- Good working knowledge of fire alarm systems
- Ability to make prints and electrical schematics of equipment
- Knowledge and experience preparing electrical estimates
- Must have good understanding of primary secondary electrical system
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Ground to 36” inches, up to 50#. Ground to 72”, up to 30#.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 50# for 100 feet or less. Carry 40# in one hand for 100’
- Pushing & Pulling forces 50# Sustained
- Static Overhead pushing of tools 30# Sustained
- Static trunk forward bending and / or twisting occasionally, from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools
- Reaching with your arms in all directions, including overhead while twisting trunk
- Working overhead occasionally from various positions (standing, squatting, and kneeling).
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder or scaffold.
- Walking various distances throughout the day on even and uneven surfaces, distances up to 1000 feet
- Use of various grip circumferences (up to 5 ½ inches), and strengths (up to 65# of grip force in both hands), as well as static grip positions, during the use of various tools, and while manipulating various work materials
- Manual steadiness, dexterity, speed, and coordination
- Arm-Hand Steadiness- The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or holding your arm and hand in one position
- Manual Dexterity — the ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp and manipulate or assemble objects
- Finger Dexterity- The ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects
Physical Screen will be administered prior to a final offer of employment.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- High school graduation (or equivalent) and completion of apprenticeship training in the electrical trade, and five (5) years of experience as a journey-level electrician, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have two (2) years of experience supervising other individuals in the electrical field
- Must possess or be able to obtain a Montana driver’s license
- Must have a valid State of Montana Electrical license (include a copy of a valid State of Montana Electrical license)
- Must obtain Montana Masters Electrical License within one (1) year of hire
- Two (2) years electrical service experience
- Two (2) years knowledge and experience running commercial electrical projects
- Current Montana Masters Electrical License
About the Facilities Services and UM
Facilities Services is charged with the efficient operation and maintenance of the University’s state funded physical plant and assists the various auxiliary operations with these services when requested. Facilities Services also supports the campus in enhancing and developing its physical plant.
The University of Montana is a flagship, R1 research institution with approximately 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 75,000, surrounded by mountains where three rivers converge. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Electrician Foreman
Position Number: 083200
Department: Facilities Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week),
Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year,
Union Affiliation: Electrical Workers Local 768
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan,
partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
Must be eligible to work in the United State upon hire. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
How to Apply
This position will remain OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
*Applying through Indeed.com or easy apply through Indeed.com may result in submission of an incomplete application. Applications may be removed from full consideration if they are not complete with materials listed above under the "How to Apply" section. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure complete application materials are submitted and received by the date listed above.Position Type