Reporting to the Stormwater Compliance Manager, the Environmental Technician provides technical assistance in the areas of erosion and sediment control (ESC) and stormwater management (SWM) in facility design, construction, operations, and maintenance. The position assists with multiple tasks and projects that include: performing ESC and SWM inspections of construction sites, reviewing stormwater management facility record reports, inspecting post-construction stormwater management facilities, reviewing Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management Plans, organizing and staffing public outreach events, developing and maintaining stormwater management and additional public outreach material, , organizing and leading meetings with on-campus student organizations regarding the MS4 Program, developing training materials to be used in stormwater education, investigating potential illicit discharges, writing illicit discharge reports, , developing MS4 documentation and operating procedures for departmental processes and policies, conducting an Outfall Reconnaissance Inventory, and assisting with general office duties.
- Knowledge and experience interpreting Virginia erosion and sediment control laws and regulations and Virginia stormwater management laws and regulations.
- Must have a valid driver's license with good driving record.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and multitask.
- Must have or be able to obtain the following within one year of hire date: Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Combined Administrator certification for both Erosion and Sediment Control and Stormwater Management.
- Bachelor's degree in one of the following areas or related disciplines: environmental science, environmental policy and planning, environmental resources management, biological systems engineering, civil engineering, water resources and/or equivalent level of training/experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the aforementioned work.
- Previous experience inspecting construction sites for compliance with federal, state, or local erosion and sediment control and stormwater management requirements.
- Knowledge of the specifications of common Virginia erosion and sediment control measures.
- Familiarity with common stormwater Best Management Practices.
- Previous experience interpreting and reviewing site plans and construction documents.
- Experience writing, compiling, and editing technical stormwater-related reports.
$20 per hour
February 16, 2024
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact HR at opsHRemail@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.