(Hybrid) Trails Training & Education Manager - Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative
The Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative at West Virginia University Research Corporation is currently accepting applications for a Trails Training and Education Manager.
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Brad and Alys Smith Outdoor Economic Development Collaborative's (OEDC) Director of Outdoor Economic and Community Development and working collaboratively with the OEDC's Infrastructure Coordinator, the Trail Training & Education Manager will be responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the OEDC's Trails Training and Education program. The incumbent will be integral to the on-going development, implementation, and operations of the program. Some of the activities include coordinating and facilitating field-based trail development and stewardship trainings, developing and facilitating trail development and management related virtual trainings, and workshops, and designing curriculum for additional programs that support the development of West Virginia's trail related assets.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- Paid Time off (PTO)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
What You'll Do
Curriculum & Resource Development
- Work collaboratively with OEDC colleagues, WVU departments, and external partners to identify and develop trails education programs strategically designed to enhance the quality, connectivity, sustainability, and diversity of trails in West Virginia.
- Support the creation of toolkits and resources that will support both existing, and new trail organizations in the growth and development of their local trails.
- Work with partners, agencies, and land managers to assess needs and implement creative approaches to increase participation and expand public engagement in trails education and stewardship.
- In collaboration with the OEDC's Grants and Research Coordinator and the WV Grant Resources Center, support communities, non-profits, and WVU in grant applications to obtain resources to bring more trails development, education, and training opportunities to WV.
- Benchmark national best practices in delivering trails training and education programming.
WV Trail Crew Training Program Management & Field Implementation
- Develop, implement, and innovate a trails training and education program that meets current education standards and trail building best practices.
- Manage all aspects of the mobile WV trail crew training and development program including scheduling, logistics, site identification, and content delivery.
- Coordinate and collaborate with local partners, agencies, and land managers in site selection and focus of field-based trainings.
- Deliver field-based trainings throughout West Virginia during the core season.
- Maintain and manage all trail crew related equipment maintenance, documentation, and repair.
- Manage groups of up to 20-35 participants in field related trail projects.
- Ensure proper risk management is communicated and adhered to during all programs.
Workshop & Webinar Development & Facilitation
- Coordinate and implement innovative trail related educational programming to support communities in stewarding their trail assets.
- Support the adaptation of existing effective trainings and workshop across other outdoor recreation sectors to support additional outdoor recreation infrastructure development at a local level.
- Coordinate with the OEDC's Outdoor Community Development Manager to organize and curate additional webinars and trainings utilizing subject matter experts to continue to support the enhancement of West Virginia's outdoor recreation infrastructure.
- Collaborate with the Smith OEDC's marketing and communications team to document, record, and disseminate education materials in multiple digital and print formats.
- Create detailed reports and/or publications (e.g., fact sheets, manuals, articles) around the metrics gathered from program activities. This includes collaborating with WVU faculty, staff, and partners.
- Support the creation of content and stories for regular Smith OEDC newsletters, social media, websites, etc...
- Engage WVU departments and external partners to identify, document, monitor, and promote the impacts, outcomes, and benefits of outdoor economic development programs and partnerships.
- Represent WVU and Smith OEDC when needed around the trails, outdoor economic and community development.
- Bachelors required in Outdoor Recreation, Natural Resources, Education, Business, Planning, Community Development, Leadership, or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience involving:
- Progressive trails, education, management, and/or development or equivalent
- Experience in educational program, workshop, and training development, creation, implementation, and measurement
- Experience with outdoor recreation infrastructure and trail development processes
- Ability to be innovative, strategic, and thoughtful about multiple constituents and projects.
- Demonstrated skills in educational curriculum development and implementation.
- Experience coordinating with local, state, and federal level land management, non-profits, and community development agencies.
- Experience building and facilitating virtual and in person programs, workshops, and trainings
- Knowledge of how trail assets connect, intersect, and support local communities
- Skilled in transporting large vehicles while towing dual axle equipment trailers
- Knowledge of planning, developing, or managing outdoor recreation and trail infrastructure.
- Experience with learning management systems and virtual content development and delivery
- Experience in project management, logistics, and communications around mobile educational programs
- Demonstrated ability to foster positive relationships with multiple diverse professional constituencies
- Ability to manage conflict between groups or individuals.
- Skilled in public speaking and communicating complex ideas to a variety of constituencies in an engaging manner.
- Knowledge of outdoor recreational activities and offerings within the state of WV, region, and nation.
- Skilled in a variety of Microsoft office-based software systems (e.g., Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including large group presentations. .
- Valid Driver's License
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to walk at least 3 miles consecutively
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Dec 4, 2023
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes