The Postal Assistant will process incoming mail and packages then distribute them to specified locations. Reporting to the Mail Services Warehouse Supervisor, the incumbent is also expected to meet fixed schedules for the collection and return of mail, sort mail for delivery and arrange it in the correct delivery sequence, and answer customer questions about university mail services regulations.
- Previous experience communicating with or working with the public;
- A valid driver's license with no restrictions;
- The ability to maintain accurate records;
- Willingness to work in close proximity to others;
- The ability to work as a team member; comprehend and follow instructions; adhere to a schedule;
- Ability to safely operate a delivery vehicle;
- Able to: safely move and handle up to 70 lbs.; sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb stairs and perform repetitive movements of reaching, lifting, sorting, and carrying mail packages and boxes for extended periods; and work daily in a variety of weather conditions.
- Experience with record keeping; use of a personal computer and computerized mail management systems; sorting, correcting, and forwarding mail;
- Knowledge of USPS processes and procedures;
- Experience as a delivery driver.
Initial review begins on December 11 and will likely continue into January
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Christina Agee-Roop at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 5 business days prior to the event.