Student Success Splst,Sr (req27494)
Requisition ID: req27494
Working Title: Student Success Splst,Sr
Position Grade: 12
Student Support Services-TRIO (SSS), a federally funded U.S. Department of Education TRIO Program, is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated individual to step into the role of Senior Student Program Advisor and join our team. SSS provides comprehensive and sensitive support to college participants, focusing on educational, social, and cultural experiences to enhance graduation rates for low-income, first-generation students, and students with disabilities.
The ideal candidate is a proactive problem-solver, adept at working in a fast-paced office environment with
students from diverse backgrounds. They embody a student-centered, holistic approach and are deeply committed to student success. Familiarity with retention, and student coaching strategies is a plus. This individual must be skilled in multitasking, self-driven, and thrives in a collaborative team atmosphere. Previous experience in TRIO programs, college-level academic advising, higher education financial aid, and exposure to tutoring/mentoring programs at the college level is preferred.
- Track and record student progress and active participation in the SSS TRIO Program.
- Intervene, conduct outreach, and develop unique success plans as needed to enhance student success and retention. Make referrals as needed.
- Contribute to the development of reports as required.
- Provide comprehensive academic advising, development of academic degree plans to meet career goals, financial aid guidance, basic college success skills, and guidance on scholarships and graduate school opportunities.
- Assist in planning and execution of social/cultural events, seminars, and workshops.
- Provide financial aid guidance, assist students with financial aid application, guide students in maintaining financial aid eligibility.
- Create and refine materials to disseminate program information to students and the broader community.
- Occasionally, be available for weekend and evening hours for special SSS activities. Ability to drive students in designated campus vehicles to special events is a plus.
- Assist in coordinating, campus-wide recruitment. Identifying and selecting eligible SSS TRIO participants.
- Foster an environment conducive to higher education experiences for students, cultivating opportunities for students to achieve their academic goals in a timely manner.
- Engage in ongoing professional development activities to enhance proficiency in areas of academic advisement, college student success, financial aid/scholarships, and higher education practices.
This position is multifaceted and significantly influences key performance initiatives at the university, ensuring student success at UNM. The ability and willingness to collaborate with other departments, academic units, internal/external donors, and university stakeholders are essential for success in this role.
Conditions of Employment
- Employees who provide services or work in patient care or clinical areas are required to be in compliance with the University's influenza vaccination requirement.
- All regular, non-temporary positions assigned to this classification are represented by a labor union and subject to the terms and conditions of the US-UNM Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Bachelor's degree; at least 2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Master's degree in Education or a related field
- Experience working with under-represented student populations
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Experience with the college admissions / scholarship processes
Campus: Main - Albuquerque, NM
Department: Assoc VP Stu SvcCollege Enrich Prgm (027A)
Employment Type: Staff
Staff Type: Term - Full-Time
Term End Date: 08/31/2024
Pay: Hourly: $20.71 - $27.40
This is a benefits eligible position. The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for a more information.
As a condition of employment, eligible employees working greater than .25 FTE as determined by the New Mexico Education Retirement Act must make mandatory retirement contributions. For more information, review the Benefits Eligibility at a Glance grid.
Background Check Required: Yes
For Best Consideration Date: 12/4/2023
Only applications submitted through the official UNMJobs site will be accepted. If you are viewing this job advertisement on a 3rd party site, please visit UNMJobs to submit an application.
For best consideration, please attach a Resume, Cover Letter, List of 3 Supervisory References and proof of any educational degree(s).
* Be prepared to supply official transcripts if you are selected for the position.
* Cover letter should highlight your experience working with under-represented student populations