Special Events Coordinator
The Virginia Tech division of Advancement seeks a dynamic, creative, and organized individual to serve as a Special Events Coordinator. The Coordinator plans a wide variety of special events for internal and external activities, including but not limited to, donor stewardship events, reunions, tailgates, dedications, regional events, and other Advancement and University wide events. Under the direction of the Director of Special Events in the department of Alumni Relations, the individual in this position will coordinate events involving the University's alumni, major donors and prospects, administration, and friends. This position works with planning committees to ensure that events conform to the highest standards, flow smoothly, and meet the standards and goals of the Advancement Division and University. They create and maintain event documentation and follow standard procedures and protocol while proactively identifying challenges and problem solving. Additionally, they manage all logistics on assigned events, research and maintain information on invitees and participants, track attendance, manage event budget, write correspondence, and create/design other printed materials as needed.
- Demonstrated experience in special event design
- Demonstrated experience working with vendors and arranging for contracted services
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Excel
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, with the capability of making decisions quickly
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Willingness to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high degree of creativity and initiative
- Availability to work night and weekends
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent level training/experience in related field
- Prior experience in special event programming in a higher education setting
- Prior experience using relational database systems
- Prior experience creating, managing, and reconciling budgets, including both accounts payable and receivable
- Demonstrated experience with graphic design and/or desktop publishing software (In Design, Photoshop, etc.)
40k to 45k - Commensurate with experience
Unable to Sponsor Work Visas
Ability to work nights and weekends, and participation in college or university programs when possible.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Advancement HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.