Department Chair & Director, Physician Assistant Program
Department Chair & Director, Physician Assistant Program
Carlow University, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Department Chair & Director, Physician Assistant Program. Carlow University’s College of Health and Wellness is seeking a full-time 12-month faculty leader to serve as the Director of the Physician Assistant Program at the Oakland campus located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Department Chair & Program Director (PD) provides effective leadership for the program, including: 1) program organization, 2) program administration, 3) fiscal management of the program, 4) continuous programmatic review and analysis, 5) program planning, 6) program development, 7) completion of ARC-PA required documents and 8) adherence to the Standards and ARC-PA policies. The PD supervises the medical director, principal, and instructional faculty (ARC-PA Accreditation Manual for Standards, 5th edition). The PD also works collaboratively with enrollment management, admissions, and marketing departments, and screens, interviews, and admits a class annually, meeting enrollment targets.
Candidates should have expertise in teaching Physician Assistant students and have academic leadership experience. Academic rank and salary are commensurate with educational preparation and experience.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Daily management of all aspects of program operations, including but not limited to the management, administration, continuous review, analysis, planning, development, and general effectiveness of the program.
- Supervise department faculty, including interviewing, hiring, and conducting performance appraisals.
- Supervise the Director of Clinical Education, ensuring the acquisition of high-quality clinical placement and monitoring of student experiences.
- Lead program faculty in the planning, development, and evaluation of the program curriculum.
- Work with the Dean of the College of Health and Wellness to resolve student concerns.
- Evaluate and provide instructor feedback on an ongoing basis.
- Attending regularly scheduled meetings.
- Organize, arrange, plan, conduct, and participate in Program Advisory Board meetings a minimum of once a year.
- Teach classes and laboratories as appropriate to the role.
- Facilitate community contact for externship programs and highlight opportunities for students.
- Complete all necessary compliance document submissions promptly.
- Gain knowledge of institutional and programmatic policies and procedures specific to the program and position.
- Serve as a liaison to and between the classroom and administration in the event of any concern or issues by the students.
- Oversee and maintain adequate levels of instructional supplies and equipment.
- Uphold all University ethical standards.
- Faculty responsibilities include, but are not limited to: 1) providing student-centered learning through best-practice teaching activities, 2) actively engaging in scholarship to advance knowledge, and 3) supporting shared governance and promoting one's profession through service.
- Possess (or be eligible to obtain) a valid Pennsylvania Physician Assistant License and NCPAA certification.
- A minimum of at least a master's degree in Physician Assistant Studies; A doctoral degree is preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years of full-time higher education experience as an appointed faculty member or program director in an ARC-PA accredited program.
- A minimum of 5 years of full-time experience as a Physician Assistant.
The ideal candidates will have:
- A deep commitment to effective teaching, developing innovative courses, mentoring students, and interprofessional practice;
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness and actively promote diversity; and
- A commitment to professional service within the University and beyond.
About Carlow University:
Carlow University is a private, liberal arts university in Pittsburgh, PA. Offering small classes, on-site and online programs and generous financial aid, we provide an exceptional education within a compassionate community rooted in the heritage of the Sisters of Mercy. Our ethics-based, flexible online programs prepare students to lead effectively in their chosen profession and promote a just and merciful world.
About the College of Health and Wellness:
The College of Health and Wellness provides students with a strong academic and clinical background for entry into and leadership within health care professions. Students have a distinct advantage of learning in clinical sites in Pittsburgh, a world-renowned leader in the field of medicine and health care. Learn more about what the College of Health and Wellness has to offer here: https://www.carlow.edu/academic-programs/healthcare-degrees/
About Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania:
Pittsburgh is the second largest city in Pennsylvania, and has an estimated population of 310,000 people. Located in northwestern PA, the City of Pittsburgh offers everything a person might be looking for in a home, with its wonderful shopping areas, great restaurants, and beautiful views. Pittsburgh is known for having more named neighborhoods than any American city. Ninety distinct communities collectively create the culture of Pittsburgh. East Liberty is known as for business and industries. Looking for a fun night out on the town? South Side has a fun and exciting nightlife full of sports bars and laid-back, local pubs. Want to catch a game or spend some quality time with your loved ones? The North Shore or North Side is the place to be. Mount Washington is the high point of Pittsburgh; it provides the residents of Pittsburgh and tourists a beautiful view of this magnificent city. Finally, Downtown has great food, dining, parks, plazas, and art museums.
All correspondence relating to the position of Department Chair & Director, Physician Assistant Program at Carlow University should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Erin House, Assistant Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Applications received by January 30, 2024 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
One of the core values of Carlow University is Sacredness of Creation. We revere each person and all creation and the diversity they embody. The University, as an educational institution and as an employer, values equality of opportunity, human dignity, and racial/ethnic and cultural diversity. We respect our diversity as we are called in both the University’s mission and core values. Our commitment to inclusivity, respect and acceptance informs every aspect of the University community.
Accordingly, the University prohibits and will not engage in discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, sex, age, pregnancy, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, genetic information, gender identification, veteran status or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all programs and activities, with respect to both admissions and employment.
Carlow University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We strive for a campus that reflects our urban setting and is inclusive of underrepresented groups to enhance our university community.