Research Laboratory Manager I - Physiology
Posting Number: req18350
Location: University of Arizona Health Sciences
Address: 1656 E. Mabel St, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
The research laboratory manager will manage laboratory operations as well as perform research. The role requires skills in management, leadership, and a high level of scientific expertise. This individual will be responsible for lab personnel, SOPs, equipment, operations, policies, and compliance. They will also be responsible for independent research in the fields of neuroscience and physiology including the development, planning and conduct of research. Scientific writing, as required for funding proposals and peer-reviewed articles, is also an important part of the position.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
organize, manage and carry out research independently.
- Analyze research
hypotheses using controlled investigations, experiments and/or trials.
Review progress and evaluate results.
- Formulate research methods.
Develop or collaborate in the development of new techniques and methods.
- Evaluate current and future technologies.
Operations, Compliance and Purchasing:
- Develop, oversee and implement lab policies and administrative operating procedures.
- Develop operating procedures to ensure that experiments and analyses are conducted within budgets and standards.
- Oversee quality control and safety programs to ensure that all laboratory activities comply with regulatory aspects of research program.
- Manage purchasing, maintenance and handling of equipment and supplies in compliance with all federal, state and local regulations. Analyze operational costs and scheduling and lead and implement efficiency improvements.
- Organize and coordinate laboratory space.
- Plan and direct day to day work of lab personnel.
- Establish and communicate performance expectations and conduct evaluations.
- Training and on-boarding of new personnel as required.
- May provide input on pay decisions as well as recruitment and development opportunities.
- Ensure personnel maintain current knowledge of laboratory techniques, procedures, and equipment operation.
- Make staffing recommendations and provides performance management for direct reports.
- Develop and review strategic operational plans, set priorities to ensure task completion, implement, monitor and achieve annual goal for projects/program.
- Align resources and staffing accordingly.
- Provide project/program analysis, problem solving and management.
- Assist in budget and strategic planning.
- Participate in the acquisition of research funding by initiating and writing grant proposals.
- Participate or author articles in peer-reviewed journals, books or chapter publications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with different groups and individuals, including the scientific community with a high level of technicality.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to initiate, maintain, and foster working-relationships with multiple individuals and groups across disciplines.
- Knowledge of neurogenetic sequencing techniques and application.
- Knowledge of immunohistochemistry techniques and application.
- Knowledge of bioinformatics.
- Knowledge of neuronal tracing and reconstruction.
- Knowledge of project management and planning.
- Ability to analyze large and complex data sets.
- Skill in utilization of data analyses software.
- Knowledge of brainstem anatomy.
- Knowledge of the structure and function of brainstem respiratory neurons.
- Skill in whole cell patch-clamp electrophysiology.
- Skill in animal research and handling.
- Ability to mentor and train staff and students.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Three (3) years of related work experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience required.
- Five (5) years of academic research laboratory management and neuroscience research techniques.
- Experience working in a higher education institution.
- Bachelor's degree in neuroscience or physiology, or related field.
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Number of Hours Worked per Week: 40
Job FTE: 1.0
Work Calendar: Fiscal
Job Category: Research
Benefits Eligible: Yes - Full Benefits
Rate of Pay: DOE
Compensation Type: salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)
Career Stream and Level
Research & Lab
Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Contact Information for Candidates
Dr. Fregosi | firstname.lastname@example.org
Open Until Filled: Yes
Documents Needed to Apply: Resume and Cover Letter
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As a Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.